Bluescreen on NEW PC after image restore to new drive after mobo/processor death.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kenteach, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenteach

Kenteach Registered Member

I am a novice!
    I have used V7 & V8 trueimage to great effect for file recovery etc.- BUT -I have just had a PC mobo/processor running Win XP die on me. Putting the original hard drive in a new PC results in a blue screen at start up which I cannot get round. (I can read stuff of the drive via IDE/USB on another PC) SO - I restored the latest image of the original drive to a brand new drive (again I can read this via IDE/USB) but this results in the same blue screen asking me to remove changed HD controllers etc etc.
    QUESTION: help!!! any ideas anybody??

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

The drivers your backup was using are the wrong ones for the new hardware.
    I suggest you try booting from the OS installation disk and select "R" for repair and attempt to repair your installation for the hardware it is running on.

F.

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Note that is not the first 'R' that you get to, that'll get you the recovery console. You choose install, where it will hopefully tell you it has found an XP install. It will then ask if you want to Repair or install, obviously you choose repair - you will need your product ID number.

Colin

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Colin,

thank you for clarifying.

F.

5. Kenteach

Kenteach Registered Member

many, many thanks to foghorne and bodgy for the lifesavers - this disaster has had me on the edge of a nervous breakdown for the last three days o_O!!!
    I am now in the process of trying your ideas - but nothing is ever quite straightforward - My orig cd is XP sp1 so I'll need to sp2 it - so it's a two stage job I think. But that is still hugely better than the alternative I had before.
    I'll be back with the results later ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.