Bloodhound.Exploit.6

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Extremely Unhappy, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just downloaded your SpyBlaster freeware, and when I selected update, I was immediately infected with the Bloodhound.Exploit.6 virus! My virus protection attempted to stop it, and delete it, but couldn't. I was not doing anything but updating your software when this took place.

I found the virus at: C:\WINNT\Temp\~428A016C.tmp, but I couldn't delete it. I went to the MS site and d/l the patch, but by the time I did that, my Outlook was already corrupted, and I started receiving errors from IE. I had to reinstall IE and run the patch immediately after. I also deleted the Temp folder (which I hope wasn't a bad thing). Then I logged off and back on, and the file was gone.

This is a heads up to the software owners as well as the consumers. It took me 3 hours to clean this horrendous thing off my computer (due to all the errors received, the slowness of the system once it was infected, the IE locking up, etc. etc.). I did not expect a "recommended" software that prevents spyware to contain a virus, and it rather p'd me off.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might check out the info at the link

3. divedog

divedog Registered Member

NORTON??

4. bigc73542

It is detected by norton, the link is their info and cleaning page.

5. divedog

Sorry I should have been more clear I was asking if he was running Norton.

6. bigc73542

yes he was ;)

7. divedog

8. bigc73542

That is why the recomended action is to get the microsoft patch to prevent this

9. divedog

I agree. It just seems a bit dubious. I have used Spyware Blaster for quite some time and have never had a problem with updates. It would seem that Norton thought the update was a virus. I would try one of the on line scanners for a second opinion and to make sure all is well.

10. bigc73542

Norton was detecting an adware trojan. but with the patch you don't get that particular trojan at all. Bloodhound is just the name that norton gives it

11. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster doesn't contain a virus.

What you may have seen is your anti-virus program's "auto-protect" option picking up on a pre-existing file because access of your temporary directory was initiated for some reason or another. (I've also seen this happen seemingly randomly.)

It could have also been a false positive.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Sometimes a little investigation goes a long way :cool:

13. bigc73542

I figured that everyone knew that spywareblaster would not have a virus, I was trying to show that it was a symantec problem. They admit that without the MS patch their av will detect this. Not just in spywareblaster but just about anything

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.