Block Traffic Feature (Stealth?)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MakoFusion, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

When a firewall is set to 'block all traffic' what happens to inbound packets? Are they closed or stealth? If someone were to try to connect to one of my ports would my firewall respond saying its closed?

Yet another option I would like to see on future firewalls!

Block All Traffic
    - No outbound packets connect to remote systems -
    - All ports closed -

Stealth All Inbound/Block Outbound
    - No outbound packets connect to remote systems -
    - ALL packets reguardless of protocol from ANY remote IP/port to ANY of my ports will be dropped with NO response from my system -

Usefull for those who do not have a hardware router or a standby button on their always on connection like DSL. If a person forgot to shut down the computer it would go into a no response/total traffic block mode after a while.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Depends on the firewall. Most Windows software firewalls drop/ignore the packet.

If the packets are dropped = stealth. If the firewall is configured to reject (respond) = closed.

As noted above, depends on configuration. Most Windows software firewalls will stealth your system (drop/ignore) to unsolicited inbound packets. The option to "reject" is not something you usually see.

Are these suggested options for when the system is unattended? Some software firewalls already have the option to block ALL traffic and things like screen saver mode.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi CrazyM

Why is it when i go to To shields up! website my ports are always stealth, but when i go to Sygate or any other online port scan my ports are always just closed?

I wish i could use PC Flank port scanner but for some reason it can't recognize my IP adress. :doubt:

I use ZA+4.5

Snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.