Block list August 24, 2006

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TNT, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Please note: the list does not include subdomains: an entry for "<site name>.biz" means than any subdomain entry should be automatically banned, so for instance "<example>.<site name>.biz" is not included in the list but should actually be blocked. So this is NOT for Windows hosts files, but it's perfect between others for Squid proxy rules, or to import in Internet Explorer's "restricted zone" with ZonedOut.

The list includes entries from various existing block lists, plus:

- link spam and blog spam sites (sites that were found in guestbooks and forums around the web and which were CLEARLY only used to increase search engine rankings)

- malware-hosting sites (excuding sites that host malware while CLEARLY specifying it is malware)

- sites using exploits

- sites related to known spammers

- some "tracking-cookie" sites (not many)

Everyone is welcome to test this (such as adding these domains to his own IE "restricted" zone) and give his own impressions, and especially everyone is welcome contributing to this list (I found both IE-SpyAd and Spywareblaster's restricted domains lists to be rather incomplete, that's why I started this thing).

Last update: August 24, 2006 (added 2122 entries and removed 19 outdated entries since previous update).

Attached Files:

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Thank you very much TNT for your hard work on this. I load this into squid and appreciate it greatly :thumb: Thanks for the good work

Alphalutra1

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks TNT. Downloaded it.

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thank you

5. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Thank you, but I have a question. HOW can I use this list? Which software (firewall for example) allow me to import this list?

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As noted in the beginning post above....to import in Internet Explorer's "restricted zone" with ZonedOut....would be one use.

7. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Ah, I see. I thought I could import this into a firewall to block incoming connections from this list to my server. However, thanks.

8. TNT

TNT Registered Member

It can also be used with http://www.squidguard.org/, or any other software that given a domain also blocks its subdomains. It is not fit for hosts files (too many of these domains use hundreds of subdomains to bypass "fixed" domain definitions).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.