Blacklisting + Whitelisting bug or problem - ESET v4 ??

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by newbie2247, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

Long-time happy and satisfied - BEST AV on the market :) - ESET user here but am befuddled with the way ESET v4 is behaving on my new Windows 7 Dell desktop (see O/S below). Either it's that or my version 4 is outdated or messed up maybe?

For all the years that I've used this ESS Suite, I know for sure that Black-listing has never, ever been done Manually - unlike White-listing which is still done Automatically. Now, according to the KB, Blacklisting, as I understand the KB, is done Manually? This is grossly disappointing, extremely cumbersome, unnecessary and 100% avoidable.

Why the change? Do tell ESET moderators. Please. This is going to take me forever and a day. I am not looking forward to this huge task. Please explain this to me ESET.

Prior to this apparent change, it seemed to me that by labeling emails as SPAM via ESET Anti-Spam module I was also automatically adding entries to my Blacklist. Simple, so why fix something that isn't broken? o_O I know and am positive that I never had to do this manually.

I now have approx. 100 to 200 pieces of SPAM in my folder and have been surprised that several of the same ones were still coming into my Inbox after I labeled them (EST) SPAM. So I went to find out why this malfunction was happening by examining my Blacklist and was mortified to find it totally blank. I was stunned by this as I know I installed my ESET properly.

Do I understand correctly that I now have to forever + ever Manually input each and every piece of SPAM onto the ESET Blackist? That almost seems cruel and unfair. Do you know how long that is going to take me just to catch up? Is there a shorcut or a way around this colossal, arduous burden? :ouch:

Maybe ESET should rethink this and revert back to doing it Automatically when I click and Label spam email as SPAM? Is this unreasonable?

Why the change?

Also, very important, I need to know this please - is my current version outdated? 4.3.67.10 I have no way of knowing because unfortunately for all of us, ESET does NOT notify us when they update their software like every other company does do for their paying customers.

Off Topic Note to ESET:
    ESET reps in particular should keep this in mind and it would be great if all of you passed this on to your bosses: Not all Nod32 and ESS Suite customers have a clue that this forum exists. I didn't for some years and had to deal with ESET through Customer Support tickets which was a nightmare because of how long that whole process took in addition to the fact that 99.9% of the time I did not understand the replies AT ALL nor did I have a clue how to follow their instructions. Still don't sometimes. Bottom line, nobody who uses ESET products should be told to "keep checking in here" for news and info. Generally the ESET KB helps somewhat but far from satisfactorily for the technically challenged folks like myself. Besides having the best AV in the world, ESET's interface is very, very user-friendly. The best I've ever used and that's primarily why I've stuck it out and stayed with ESET thus far.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

There are many factors to how and why a message is determined to be SPAM. The blacklist is a small part of the overall process. In that regard no major changes have been made. As you can see below this process has worked the same since ESS version 3.

ESS V3 Manual:

Reclassified messages are automatically moved to the SPAM folder, but the sender email address is not added to blacklist. Similarly, messages can be classified as “not spam”. If messages from the Junk E mail folder are classified as not spam, they are moved to their original folder. Marking a message as not spam does not automatically add the sender address to the Whitelist.

ESS V4.2.67 build help files:

The Blacklist contains email addresses classified as spam, and all messages from senders on the Blacklist are marked accordingly. The exclusion list contains email addresses that are always checked for spam but may also contain addresses from unsolicited email messages disguised as not spam.

All lists can be edited in Setup > Antispam protection by clicking the Add, Edit and Remove buttons in each list's dialog window.

By default, ESET Smart Security adds all addresses from the address book of supported email clients to the Whitelist. The Blacklist is empty by default.

You can read more about how the antispam engine provides you with a complete SPAM solution in section 4.3 in the ESS 4 manual starting on page 25

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Marking a message as spam does not make the alleged sender untrusted as the address is usually spoofed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.