BitDefender - uninstalled when removing another program ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Littlemutt, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

A trial of a program I have been using ran out, and decided that I did not want the program, so I uninstalled thru the Control Panel, WinXP SP2.

During the removal, I got a 1704 message from BD stating something about being inhibited, and asked if I wanted to restore.. I clicked yes, and after several minutes the program I was removing was indeed removed, along with BitDefender. What The o_O??

Anyone else seen this? I have given up on BD at the moment and went back to KAV 6.0 trial for the time being.

Trying to find a replacement for NAV is proving hard.
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Jun 22, 2006
    have you tryed nod32 yet? or antivir?
  3. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I briefly tried nod32, but became concerned when I found that it does not have any antispy/worm detection. Perhaps this is covered by the heuristics part, but I do not know. Using EWIDO as the antispy/worm/malware, is too heavy on the CPU, even doing nothing it eats 30% of my CPU.

My 2nd concern is that nod32 will not be a stand-alone AV once 3.0 comes out, and I like my ZApro firewall, so I don't want a suite. Again, perhaps I've not read the postings/announcements right.

I've not considered any other AV for years being a loyal Norton user, but of late I am not happy with some things they have done to the program, thus I'm looking.

Thanks for you reply, I will keep looking/testing.
  4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Nov 22, 2002
    Christchurch, UK
    Where did you pick up this information? It certainly detects both types of malware.

Take a look here and here.
    Just use it as a backup scanner. If you use a good AV and firewall and a non-IE browser, spyware should not be a major problem.
    ESET, like Kaspersky, will offer both the suite and the standalone program.
    Just make sure that you uninstall all traces of Norton before testing other AV's. A good Registry Cleaner, Total Uninstall or even Erunt may be good choices for you to remove debris from your AV trials.

Replacements; take a look at some of the scanners listed over at av-comparatives.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.