BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unfortunately, there are no Linux installers as of yet.

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I just installed the Chrome extension and that's where the images are from.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Works fine fror me in ie9...:)

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Since it is the the first beta there is expectedly some bugs. This happens also to me. After rfrshing the page it came.

5. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Doesn't seem to work with SRWare Iron. However with IE9 it seems to work well. I like it as a companion to Bufferzone Pro.

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I want have this on linux too :D

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

But is it needed on Linux?

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Is Linux going to protect people against phishing/fraudulent websites? ;) Just an addition to the web browser anti-phishing protection.

9. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

going to give it a try.. :) :thumb:

10. m00nbl00d

I'll give it a new try tomorrow - already late here... or soon, depending on the perspective. :D

Most likely the reason Chrome extension was failing to fully run, was the same reason every other extension always failed to run in my Chromium setup, as well. lol

I have a lot crap in my batch file, which I start Chromium with. I need to clean it and figure out what's preventing the extensions from working. Most likely, the same setting that was preventing Developer Tools from working.

Why doesn't Google document all that? :D

-edit-

Yep, that did the trick. Got it to work! :D It took some time to figure out what was wrong, but is now working fine.

By the way, it does seem that Chrome extension provides malware filtering. At least, by looking at its settings. No sure how effective it is...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  11. fasteddy2020

fasteddy2020 Registered Member

I really like the concept and it is pretty easy to understand but it slowed down my browsing quite a bit. It almost tripled the time it took for a page to load. When I uninstalled it everything went back to normal. I will try it again once it is officially released and I like the concept, but doesn't work real well with my setup.

12. zeustl

zeustl Registered Member

Hy guys , liked TrafficLight better the full one. Looked over the press release and it seems that TrafficLight Lite is meant for all platforms but lacks the protection offered by the full kit. didn't seem to slow down my browsing time either like other users said.

13. InfinityAz

Running Chrome extension and no slowdowns (other than when it populates the icon during searches).

14. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

this looks pretty cool, ill try it out when the firefox extension is released since i dont want the full package that runs on my system

15. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Exactly the same situation here,for all my browsers,IE9,FF and Chrome.That's why i'm using only the add-on for Chrome and the browsing speed it's normal.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Looks nice so I tried this beta with IE9. The advanced search filter does take quite some time to check the search results. Also the process BSSERV.EXE uses quite some user mode CPU time (lickily minimal disk access as one should expect from a cloud service).

IE9 allready has great adblocking, smartscreen filter (webpage reputation check) and hash check on downloading file. So I am using this traffic light only with MALWARE check enabled (add blocking, advanced phising and search result analyser are all disables).

Still quite some user mode CPU time, but keeping it for a while

17. Jaymzu

Jaymzu Registered Member

Hello guys,

I'm part of the team working on TrafficLight and we'd like to thank you all for the feedback you posted so far (we're trying to monitor as much as we can what's being posted about it on the web). We're currently taking notes notes in order to add improvements in upcoming releases. That being said, let me try to shed some light on a few things ;)

TrafficLight, currently, comes in 2 flavors:

1) A full product (currently only running on windows) that can process every bit of http content that you access along with all the security enhancements that are facilitated by that. This includes a service that does all the processing

2) A stripped down version as a browser extension (no service), currently only available for Chrome and soon for Firefox and Safari. The extension is much lighter but also subject to a few limitations. That being said, the extension should run smoothly on Chrome running on any operating system (tested so far on Windows, Mac and Linux)

You can read all about the differences between the full product and the browser at http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com/extensions.html

For any questions and suggestions whatsoever you can get in touch with us at trafficlight@bitdefender.com

Thanks again for your feedback. Keep it comin' ! :)

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi Jaymzu, welcome to Wilders Security. Any chances of an extention for Opera?

And how would we know if an update is available? Is there any auto update check?

19. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Hi Jaymzu
    What about the slow browsing?I know it's a beta,but i really hope that your team will improve this.Superb workin' BTW!
    Bravo Romania!:thumb:

20. Jaymzu

Jaymzu Registered Member

Ok so..

1) Opera will probably be on the radar for the extension version. Soon (™) ;) Meanwhile, on windows, the full version of TrafficLight should work without any problems on any browser (including Opera)
    2) Regarding updates. The full TrafficLight supports product updates (you should actually see one very soon). The chrome extension updates silently (Chrome is cool, like that) by default or you can force the update by going to the extension management window and clicking "Update extensions now" (latest chrome extension version should be 0.1.5 at the time I'm writing this. Preparing an update for that as well).

3) Regarding the slowdown, I'm guessing you're talking about the Full TrafficLight. If that's the case, please get in touch with us via e-mail - trafficlight at bitdefender dot com so we can see exactly when and how it happens. We've done performance tests and, at least for us (yes, I know), the delay induced wasn't noticeable. So yeah, help us figure out if yours was an isolated case and how we can reproduce it and we'll be happy to fix it asap.

21. m00nbl00d

One question.

I know that the differences between the full installer and Chrome extension is mentioned here -http://trafficlight.bitdefender.com/extensions.html, but I gave Chrome extension a run, and it seems to provide malware protection; at least, if I'm to take seriously what is mentioned in the settings.

The url provided above, shows Chrome extension does not provide it.

Could you confirm it?

-edit-

By the way, would there be any chance that TrafficLight will be provided in more languages? Those that BitDefender already provides.

22. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I noticed the same thing. Overall I like the product but it is using more resources (CPU, RAM) than I would expect. While IE9 already has some of these areas covered, I prefer to use Iron as my main browser and TL does not currently support it.

23. InfinityAz

Jaymzu,

Nice to see vendors asking for input from customers, thanks.

Once TrafficLight comes out of beta will it be a paid, free, both, etc.?

24. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

is it supposed to work on 64? i tested it on win7 64 and not working ...after i installed it ..run IE8 and surfing net like nothing installed before :(

Never mind got it to work ....but why most sites not checked yet :D ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  25. m00nbl00d

It would be really stupid to make it a paid-for product, IMHO. Otherwise, let's consider the following. Major web browsers already provide decent protection against fraudulent/malicious domains (IE - SmartScreen, Chrome - Google Safebrowsing, Opera - Data provided by AVG LinkScanner*, Firefox - Google Safebrowsing). Then, we have a few URL blockers/rating tools, such as MyWOT** and AVG LinkScanner.

* I'm not sure if Opera team also do their own homeworko_O

** Some may say it's not reliable, due to biased ratings, but WOT has quite a few trusted partners, such as MDL, hpHosts, Malware Patrol, Malware Domains, etc (-http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Trusted_Sources)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.