BitDefender Internet Security 2009 Installation Woes

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rain_Train, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Antivirus/Internet Security suites seem to really hate me :doubt: . First Norton gave me problems, then Avira, now BitDefender.

Basically, I cannot get the Internet Security 2009 installed on my computer. It will get to the part where it starts writing registry values, then it pops up a notice saying it cannot write a registry key ".DEFAULT ..." (I can't remember the rest). I am given three options: "Cancel", "OK", and "Retry". Retry fails consistently, and OK simply hangs the installer (it's so close to completion, like 90%!). The only option is Cancel, which aborts the installer. BitDefender then notifies me to run the uninstall tool, which I do.

I've run the Uninstall tool four times, rebooted my computer five times, run CCleaner and Glary Utilities registry cleaners three times, and searched through the registry and disk twice for any files/entries pertaining to Softwin or BitDefender. I've also tried installing as an Administrator default in Safe Mode, but was notified that my administrator had turned off that privilege. I know I'm not infected by any malware because I just ran a scan with Avira earlier this morning.

This has me really stumped o_O : I really liked their Antivirus product and was hoping to trial the Internet Security. Does anyone know of how I can alleviate this problem?

2. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

If I had the problems you have, I would do the good old format c: and jump on the horse again.

Cheers

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

What other security software are you using? I mean are you using software that can prevent writing to the registry and other vital section on your hard disk. In vista try right clicking on the installer and choose run as administrator.

Open the registry editor by doing this press the windows button together with r now type regedit press enter. Now at the left side you will see 5 entries right click on each of them and select permissions see that the administrator account has full control allowed and also can read. See if you also can find SYSTEM that account should also have full control and read rights. By HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE you should find the name of your useraccount that need also full access.

4. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Reformatted & Installed

Thanks for the response, guys. I was running XP, so there was no right-click "Run As Administrator" option, and I am the administrator.

In any case, I took JasSolo's advice and went ahead and re-installed Windows – I had backed up my important files two days before, so it wasn't a problem. Then I tried installing it, and it installed without a hitch.

I'm currently on day 1 of my trial, and so far I like it: it runs just as light as the antivirus, and has some nice firewall features.

Thanks for your replies, JasSolo and Niels :thumb: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.