BitDefender 9 Standard

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Davidpr, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Anyone using this and if so what are your opinions please? I am looking to go light on resources, removed Prevx 1 and using router with WFW, and BD seems to be ideal. And the license covers 2 PC's which is a bonus.

Would really appreciate comments from users.

Regards.

David.

2. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

BD9 is a good choice, however, since running light is an important issue, I would recommend Nod32 who runns even lighter regarding both CPU and Ram

Regards, C.

3. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Based on my experience, BitDefender is not light and it's quite slow. If you want such scanner (high proactive detection rates and very fast) I think NOD32, AntiVir Classic (freeware) or AntiVir Premium are better choices, it's more faster and lighter than BitDefender.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just keep the BD9. I have BD9 Standard and is running prety smooth, can't really notice any real difference compared to NOD32.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Has BD9 conflicted with any a/s or anything else...like BD8 did with SpywareGuard or SpybotS&Do_O

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

BitDefender 9 has apparent incompatibilty issues with a number of programs, particularly AntiSpyware.

From BD9 read me text;

Don't accept the default settings and you can make the RTM lighter by selecting program files rather than ALL files and you can also reduce the overhead in the General Settings Window.

With these settings I have found BD 9 to be a very light primary scanner.

Attached Files:

7. 19monty64

Curious...BD8 didn't have shield...wonder why it conflicted?

8. 19monty64

What spyware does go with BD9...if this could be resolved, I would surely pick it over my present a/v...

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have a license for BD 9 Pro. I no longer use it. It is an excellent AV BUT support will insist that you remove SpyBot and Spyware Blaster. I mean insist to the point that NO support will be given if they detect those two applications on your computer. I removed BD instead. I am not about to give up my oldest and favorite anti-spyware applications because an AV can't get along with them! I now have KAV6 and it doesn't mind that I use Spybot and Spyware Blaster.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

BitDefender 9 is a good product, it has good malware detection rates and is light enough. The program becomes a bit heavy mainly if archive scanning is enabled in the Real-Time Monitor. The licensing deals are good.

SOFTWIN recommends to uninstall any other AntiSpyware program on your system before installing BitDefender.

@Mele20: I didn't have quite the same experience as you did. BitDefender support was extremely friendly regarding such things. Although they told me to remove SpyBot and Spyware Blaster, they didn't say stuff like not offering support if I didn't remove them.

Also, BitDefender did not tell me anything about removing applications like CCleaner and Anti-Trojan software and the like. Strange :doubt:

I must, however, say that BD support automatically assumed I was having problems when I mentioned uninstalling Spybot, when in fact I was not having any noticeable problems (yet). :doubt:

11. Blackcat

LiveSupport stated to-day that you can run other AntiSpyware with BD as long as you run them on-demand, so there is now no conflicts between 2 on-access Monitors.

You can then enable "Scan for Spyware" in the Shield settings.

Attached Files:

12. Firecat

For me, they suggested to uninstall Spybot. They didn't say anything about Ad-Aware Free edition or other On-Demand scanners, but they specifically said to uninstall Spybot. :doubt:

13. Blackcat

I have not used SpyBot S&D for a long time. BUT I have found no problems when using CounterSpy, SpySweeper, PestPatrol or Trend Micro AntiSpyware as on-demand scanners with BD.

14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Why would BitDefender conflict with SpywareBlaster. It's not even a running process. o_O

snowbound

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As a matter of interest, if BD conflicts with my well-liked A-squared (which I run real-time), whose job is it to resolve that conflict? BD or A²? Or... none of the aboveo_O?

16. .....

..... Registered Member

I'd assume both vendors should work together to find a workable solution....
    Thats what we did when a product we made conflicted with another.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Whichever company deems it to be in their best interest to do so. Usually that means whoever neeeds your money more and usually that's the smaller company.

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I know. I asked Javacool in his forum here and he said he had no idea why BD feels Spyware Blaster can't be used with BD. I pointed out to support that Spyware Blaster is not a running process and that as far as Spybot goes that I did not use tea timer and thus Spybot was used only on demand. I was still told that if I wanted help that I had to remove the programs and submit PROOF to BD that I had done so. (I had an ongoing problem with BD and was receiving support when BD asked me to run Belarc Advisor and send them the results. That is how they saw that I have Spybot and Spyware Blaster).

I think BD is an excellent scanner and I like the GUI too. I had NO problems with BD Pro ver 9 until the forced upgrade that gave me the spyware scanner which I didn't want and that upgrade was the beginning of my problems. I think BD just wants everyone to use only BD's spyware scanning and not anyone else's. I turned off BD's spyware scanning yet even then, and even with Spybot as on demand only, I was told to remove both it and Spyware Blaster...even if I wasn't using BD's new spyware scanner. It really turned me off.

Javacool said he was open to working with BD to fix what ever conflict there is but BD apparently isn't interested. Spybot support just said "ho,hum...." nothing new. Don't use BD." Or something to that effect.

19. Firecat

I like BitDefender's Spyware scanner. At first glance, it seems quite nice, detecting cookies and all. My one complaint is that the On-Demand Scanner is a bit slow, compared to others like say NOD32.

But now I can confirm that removing Spybot made BitDefender run faster on my PC. TeaTimer was *not* enabled. I have no idea why BD should run faster with Spybot uninstalled. :doubt:

20. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I've been using BD9 for several months now on one of my 98SE PC's. I read about some possible conflicts and decided to disable Spybots Teatimer, but still retain Spybot, i also have Spyware Blaster/Ad-Aware/a2/BOClean/CCleaner amongst other things installed. Out of these Only BOClean is also running fulltime with BD9.5.

I can happily report that i have problems or issues etc with anything, and BD9 is now upgraded to BD9.5 via the updates. BD9.5 also includes Syware detection and removal along with the viruses/trojans etc, if you put a check in the correct box to include those definitions.

I have scan ALL files enabled and suffer no apparent slowdowns etc on my PC.

StevieO

21. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Many thanks for your comments. I have bought BD because it is a good AV and because I can use the license for 2 PC's all for £20.

I have left Spywareblaster installed and so far have noissues on either machine.

David.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It is a good AV.
    Let us know in time how it runs with other applications.

Jerry

23. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello 19monty64,

You wanted to know what spyware products work with BD9? I have been using BD9 with PestPatrol V5 for almost two years without any problems at all.

Also, like several other user's postings in this thread, I have never experienced any system slowdowns using BD9 with its "default" settings, even on some older laptops.

Just my $02 worth,
    KDCDQ

24. ronbo613

ronbo613 Registered Member

I've been using BD9 for about six months now and it's done a good job. I don't notice any slowing of my non-powerhouse internet cruising computer. It's caught a number of trojans and a couple email viruses.
    As far as conflicts with other software, I had Spybot, but after a few months without anything detected, I uninstalled it and have noticed no ill effects. I have SpywareBlaster and there have been no conflicts with BD9. CCleaner is a good program, the only issue it has with BD9 is that it will delete the BD log file. If you uncheck "Windows Log Files" in CCleaner, you shouldn't have any problems.
    I also use Adaware and the ZoneAlarm firewall and have had no issues with BD9 at all.
    Coming from Norton AV, BD9 has been a real improvement, and at $20, a real deal.

25. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Just a caveat: According to EULA, 2nd puter must be primary user's portable mach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.