BitDefender 10 firewall Internet Suite - Opinion

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tec505, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Hallo. I'm trying this firewall in this days. Has anyone tryed this before?
    It seems not to have HIPS/NIPS.
    Also it want to set as SERVER programs like FIREFOX. Normally ZAPro or Kerio Personal Firewall set these programs "NO ACT" as SERVER.
    Is it negligible to set as Server an application, isn't it?

According to these consideration even if in Softwin accept renewals upgrade from Antivirus licence to Suite, I'm thinking not to subscribe the suite.

Can I trust this suite? In my opinion it is dangerous permit to an application to act as server.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
    Mike

2. ISSB

ISSB Registered Member

If you really value the role personal firewall plays in a whole security suite product then I recommend you to look at the Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite. No other security suites have better firewall than Zone Alarm.

However if you do not want to install one product and looking for best-of-breed apps then here are my 2 cents:

1. Outpost Firewall PRO;
    2. NOD32 Antivirus;
    3. Spyware Doctor;
    4. MailWasher PRo (anti-spam);

There are some other tools like different HIPS etc but I think these are essential parts.

3. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Hi ISSB. I've read you on other threads.
    I understand what are you saying. I'm using ZAISS on another PC. What I don't like in that ISS is AV. (CA AV !!).
    As I consider very correct what you say about firewalls, I'm really thinking to dump BD ISS 10 and stay with ZAPro (I've a licence), or with Kerio.
    I know that NOD32 is great, but is more expensive than BD renewal or Antivir Premium).
    This is the matter: BD 10 AV + ZAPro or Antivir Premium + ZAPro (or Kerio, that it has a good GUI, but is a resurce hog).

Thanks.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The problem with BitDefender Internet Security v10, is that the firewall fails every single leak test, as for the AntiVirus, that is as good as you can get, so as a standalone AntiVirus I would choose BitDefender AntiVirus v10 or NOD32 both are equal on par to each other, and as a Firewall, I would use outpost Pro 4.0, but this has some software compatibility issues with the current version. Agnitum informed me that their developers,are working frantically to release a new version of Outpost 4.0 that will be compatible with several more programs, such as Webroot Spy Sweeper. I dont know when this new release will be available for download though.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had V9 then 10, had nothing but problems. I would stay as far away as possible from it. Kaspersky, Norton are both better and more stable. Or be really smart and wait a little longer for Esets new suite coming.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

trjam, where did you get Counterspy v2 from? I just looked on the counterspy website,and it still states 1.5.82

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is the beta that will be out soon, as is vastly improved.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dont judge a firewall on firewallleaktester, biggest mistake you could end up making, put it through its tests and then see how it performs. :D

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well dont leave the poster hanging. If he shouldnt use firewall leaktester, then give him some specific guidelines and/or sites on how to test.

10. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Using ZA Free or Pro No Programs have Server Rights. Many Programs try to Grab Server Rights but few need them.

11. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

So I decided to stay with BitDefender AV standalone. I found it pretty effective since v.9. I think is correct thinking that BD AV has many bugs. I've reinstalled v. 10 3 times since the first time. But it has a good engine. B-have 2 is good and effective. I hope i future stability improvement. A plus: the retail price.

About firewall, at the moment I'm with ZA Pro. I use it since 4.5. Nowadays it has some problems slowing down my system. ZA Antispy is effective in finding tracking cookies. Nothing to say about BD antispy: it has never find anything.
    ZA Pro is really settable. The only thing I dislike is that i cannot create an expert rule directly using alert data (such as IP and port address). It would be a very usefull option the possiblity to create an expert rule directly without close alert message (allowing) and then in program control create this expert rule. :(
    About Outpost I tried it. I think is great. But I dont like GUI. In my opinion is not user-friendly. The best GUI is Sunbelt Kerio (for this the problem are security issues ...).

Bye

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

C.S.J I didnt rely on lfirewalleaktester. I actually put it through its paces on dozens of seperate leaktests myself, and it failed!! all of them! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.