Bit Defender - I don't believe it.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just gave a helpful tip.

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

BD said to uninstall 9.5 if it was not showing me the GUI on command line scanning of a file. They said since I don't want version 9.5 to reinstall version 9 and decline the upgrade. It will not upgrade automatically and should not bug me further. So, that is what I plan to do. I like version 9 and version 9 always gives me the screen showing the checking of the file on right click command line scanning. There is a bug in 9.5 as 9.0 never acted like that (nor did 7 and 8 free versions). Command line scanning is, IMO, the most important thing I do with an AV. I never got a virus the entire time I had BD free version as my ONLY AV...that was for almost two years. I scanned everything I downloaded before running it using right click command line.

All these bells and whistles are not needed. And if you use Outlook Express, you should NEVER enable email scanning as that will just make corruption in the registry a certain thing and if you haven't backed up recently you will loose all your mail one day when the corruption is severe enough that you suddenly can't open OE or you open an identity and there is nothing there, etc. Email scanning is silly redundancy and unnecessary as the real time scanner will block you if you try to open an infected attachment. If you practice safe hex you'll never do that anyway as you will always download the attachment to disk first and then right click scan it. So much of AV's these days is unneeded especially if you use Fx instead of IE and practice safe hex at all times. AVs are not supposed to protect you against yourself. You should do that.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I reinstalled BD 9 Pro and it immediately tried to install 9.5. It gave me no chance to decline before it started the install. I had to abort it midway through but when I rebooted I did still have ver. 9 not 9.5. Ver. 9, gives me the GUI and I watch it check when I do a right click command line scan. 9.5 won't do that. I installed it a second time and it still would not give the GUI when doing a command line scan so I think there is a bug there...maybe just for certain configurations. It like I have a bad bug in IE7b2 that others don't have that has to do with my video card so the same may be true here....some have the bug ...some don't. At any rate, I have version 9 back so I am happy. This install I left off the anti-spam checker I don't use. I don't see why in a custom install there is no option to leave off the email checker also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.