Big Problems

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by tradetime, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

After an event as detailed here I have now major problems with FD-ISR. The program throws up varying numbers of errors in the thousands. It seems to have totally lost the plot.
    Then a repeat run of the copy update may produce no errors, really puzzled. Any suggetions?

Have also noticed it has stopped logging.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think your only choice is do a complete uninstall, program and snapshots, and then clean up your disk.

I am guessing you don't have an image to restore.

Pete

3. tradetime

Thanx for the reply Peter, as it happens I do have an image to restore, so that would be the obvious route, sounds daft probably but I decided to make some dramatic changes to the snapshot that was loaded when the power outtage hit as it was somewhat bloated for purpose.

At the risk of boring you, basically what appears to have happened,
    Power outtage hit causing impromptu PC shutdown in "work snapshot" (UPS battery has died it seems)
    On reboot there were problems with firewall, some file or other missing or currupted, so booted to another snapshot to copy/update to that one.
    The copy/update process was moving at about 12k (verses the normal 3000-5000k) was going to take several hours and many errors were sarting to show, clearly all was not well.
    Decided the snap must be damaged and to delete, this also had problems and errors, though seemed to achieve the objective.
    Ran chkdsk /r there were lots of problems as listed on the other thread, and it seemed to be fixed was able to create a new snapshot copied from a baseline one, and built a new "work snap" but am having lots of problems copy/updating sometimes it goes ok, other times there are anything form a handfull of errors to several thousand.

So clearly all is still not well. All remaining snaps appear to be functional as an operating envoironment, just varying problems when copy/update. Is it possible fd-isr itself has been damaged somehow and an uninstall reinstall of the program alone would solve the problem?

A second thought is that when I created the new "work snap" I installed XP SP3 I wonder is anyone running fd-isr 320 build 202 with this service pack, although I am experiencing copy/update probs in snapshots that do not have the service pack so unlikely a factor.

sorry about the long winded reply. Attached is the system error during copy/update

Have run chkdsk c: /r and it doesn't seem to find any problems since the first time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. Peter2150

I have FDISR running on one machine which is at SP3. If you haven't done a complete uninstall reinstall, I'd try that. Otherwise I'd restore the image that was working and check that.

Pete

PS What security software are you running. A while back I had Faronic's AE on my machines, and I discovered it was slowly degrading FDISR.

Pete

5. tradetime

Many thanks as always for your views Pete.
    Am running Returnil (always off during any fdisr tasks) and Avast! (always disabled during fdisr tasks)
    I will try first uninstalling/re-install fdisr at the weekend and see how that fares, whatever issue exists only using fdisr seems to bring it to the fore. My system and application logs are error free until I use fd

On the above error log, this bit....
    to me it looks like it refers to drive D........is that correct or am I off base? As driive D on that machine is a dvd drive.

6. Peter2150

Looks like it's refering to what windows is calling drive 0. Probably one of the harddrives.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, in what way was AE degrading FDISR? Thanks.

Acadia

8. tradetime

Ok thanx again, the D was confusing me, there is only one hdd in that machine, partitioned to a C = system partition and an E = data partition with D = optical (dvd drive)
    Have run chkdsk on both partitions and all seems well now. Both partitions show as "healthy" in the computer management. Will uninstall / reinstall fdisr at the weekend and see how that goes.

9. Peter2150

When FDISR would index the system, it would stop midway thru and spend as long as 5 minutes there before continuing. Just kept getting worse and worse.

Pete

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, that hasn't starting happening yet to me; did you have AE disabled while doing this?

Acadia

11. Peter2150

No it was on going, and gradually worsening. Had me scratching my head until I restored earlier images. Problem persisted until I hit an image with no AE. Went back to current image and uninstalled AE and problem went away.

12. tradetime

Ok just to update:
    I uninstalled fd-isr and reinstalled (but left snapshots intact) unfortunately this did not solve the problem. I realise that your advice, Pete
    probably means you won't be surprised at that. The reason I left the snapshots in situ was twofold, firstly, in and of themselves they all seemed to work fine, the only problem appeared to be with the functioning of fd-isr. Secondly, to uninstall fd-isr + snapshots, imho would have been pointless in preference of simply running an image recovery. I suspect you would probably agree with that since your advice was predicated on the assumption that I didn't have an image. It might of course have worked, but I could see no material advantage over recovering an image, in fact (assuming it works, touch wood) image recovery has the advantage of leaving me with a working system and all snapshots intact. Will know shortly if that has solved the problem.

13. tradetime

Didn't want to do an image recovery until I had a replacement battery for my UPS, that sorted this morning recovering an image seems to have solved the problem, although it will take a little time to be sure that all problems are gone. I have still noticed some errors occuring during copy/update, though nothing like the 15000 odd before. Oddly some errors refer to failing to delete a file "because it is in use" which seems rather odd when neither of the snapshots in question are live ( ie I am in snapshot A and copy/updating from D to C) but I will continue to monitor this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.