Big Fix 1.7.6.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wills, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

PC Magazine recommends this as one of the better programs. Wondered if any members use it or have used it and their experiences. I am not tech oriented and see it goes into the registry which kind of conerns me as I don't want to create myself a problem if I don' know what I am doing . Hope someone out there has comments. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  2. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Wills
    I have used big fix every since I've had a computer,it used to be very useful especially where updates were concerned and reminders but as of late it has just sit there doing nothing.It came with my new computer but I am thinking of deleting it because all the other progs I have (I'm guessing)alert me first so it's not useful any more.still I think it's a good prog. it has been good for me in the past.
    Rita

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The only real downside I've seen or heard about with this program is just how much of your system resources it uses, I haven't heard of it causing any major problems, though. I doubt it will mess up your system any, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the memory it takes up.

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Notok
    how much memory does it take,I wasnt even aware it took a lot?thanks
    Rita

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hi

You know, it's been quite a while, so I really don't remember for sure, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 15-20 MB or so. I just remember installing it, thinking "this is kinda neat, maybe I could put this on people's system that take it for granted that I will fix their computer for free at the drop of a dime." then looking at the memory usage a while later and immediatly un-installing :) Even besides security apps, I've got a lot of stuff running, so it really wasn't worth it to me. If it clears a lot of stuff up for you, however, it may be worth it. Like I say, resource usage is the only bad thing I've ever heard about it. I may re-install it tonight just to take another look and play with it a little. I've got a few glitches, we'll see if it finds them :)

Edit: Just re-downloaded it, didn't realize they were focusing more on security now more than general computer troubleshooting, so sorry if the above didn't make complete sense. I'll give it a look when I get home from work.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  6. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D I don't know about all the technical stuff, but I do know after my machine crashed for the second time (yep second time) BIG FIX alerted me to the fact that I was missing some files and directed me right to the site where I could obtain them. I have not even thought of getting rid of this product ever since.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi wildman
    I didnt know it done things like that-so now I dont know if I'll delete it after all.I know it always told me when I had ME when it was time to defrag and scandisk-but I havent had any alerts at all with XP,know it is probaly time to defrag,and I dont know how often to check disk in XP or if your even supposed to or not just routinely(I'm guessing check disk is same as scandisk)I'm glad to hear it does other things like missing dll files etc.thanks for info on that
    Rita

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Well it doesn't take up as much memory as it used to, 8mb when minimized to the tray (curiously only a couple MB when minimized to the task bar), but it was chewing up the CPU a little. While running it I noticed periodic spikes in CPU usage, momentarily slowing the system down every minute or so. However the program itself is really cool, it's kind of like having a personal assistant for your computer :) If I wasn't running a bunch of other stuff that uses up CPU time, I would probably keep it :)

9. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:doubt: Don't know about Big Fix and other OS's. I am still using Windows 98. I do know however that I am glad I have had this little beauty. It has helped me much more than I would have ever expected from a free program.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) ;) :-*

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I may not keep it running all the time, but I'm not going to uninstall it either. I think I'll probably keep it around to run as part of my maintenance.. run it every once in a while to maybe point out things I've forgotten or don't see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.