beware

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by montyq, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montyq

montyq Registered Member

I read a lot of good things here about look'n'stop, so I gave It a try. to my dismay. no problems with IT on my desktop, but decided I did'nt want It so I uninstalled & WENT to jetico. uninstalled jetico, It was to Intrussive. After the uninstall I could'nt get on the internet. with some searching I found the problem In device manager 2 look'n' stop drivers were attached. I had to do a complete reformat to get them un-hooked from my system. Up & running now with sygate. beware of of what u do. I learned.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I believe you improperly uninstalled LnS. Most common mistake in unistalling programs that are always running, i.e. AV, PF, AS etc. Is not to disable or exit them before uninstalling.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Definitely sounds like something went very wrong, i've uninstalled/installed lns many times and haven't come across this problem.

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Look ‘n’ Stop uninstalls has never required the user to manually exit out of the currently running Look ‘n’ Stop application, this is done automatically upon execution of the uninstaller.

5. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

To the OP,

Did you reboot and delete any related program folders in between uninstalling one firewall and installing another?

6. Phant0m

As for the connectivity loss you experienced, something to remember; … fully uninstall current third-party software firewall install and re-boot before installing another software firewall product. And be-careful, usage of Total Uninstall and software alike can be problematic when trying to remove Look ‘n’ Stop and even other software firewalls.

7. Phant0m

8. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Here are recommendations to avoid these problems:
    - Installation and uninstall with administrator rights.
    - Reboot after uninstallation (even if you are not asked to).
    - DO NEVER uninstall and reinstall without rebooting after uninstalling.
    - If you see an "Add device" message box during installation, answer no to it.

9. montyq

montyq Registered Member

thnx for all the replys. that Is my point all this advice Is to no avail after the horse has left the barn.I just wanted to make this exact point CAUTION needs to be heeded when a lot of hoop-la surrounding these cant miss software prog's exist. all Is well now,. me & trustie sygate.

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Go to My Computer, Properties, the Advanced tab, Environment Variables, and add a new system variable with the name "DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES " and a value of 1. Now opening Device Manager and choosing "Show Hidden Devices" really will show you everything.

Under Non-Plug and Play Drivers and check lighter greyed out icons.

Well look there - lnsfw1.

Device Instance Id - ROOT\LEGACY_LNSFW1\0000

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.