Best way to test antivirus/security software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Defcon, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Other than reading reviews, I guess the only sure way is to test for yourself. If I wanted to do it with minimal risk, how would I go about it? I've come up with the following:-

1. Must test in a VM, I'm thinking VirtualBox for easiest to use. Then install Xp SP3/Vista Sp1 in it.
    2. disable the router protection for this VM. For this I must put it into the DMZ right? How do I do this?
    3. Take a snapshot of VM (like taking an image)
    4. Install security sw
    5. Visit bad sites, run malware exe's. What's a good source for these? Which sites to visit? I suppose it also must be done in IE with all its protection disabled.
    6. See what's caught and what's not - look for firewall notices, false positives, automatic cleaning etc. How will I know that a virus has slipped through if its not detected? Is the only way to do this by running scans with many different online scanners?
    7. Restore snapshot
    8. Repeat steps 4,5,6

If someone here has already done such tests, please link to your findings.

2. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

with all due respect, amateur testing is to professional testing what mud pies are to real pies... there's nothing sure about doing the tests yourself...

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

LOLROF

Time to eat some dirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.