Best way to make emails private on Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lucygrl, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

What do I need to do to make emails private and secure on Thunderbird?
    Some sort of encryption I guess. Any advice?

thankyou.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I never tried it, but I think it is possible to find a portable version of Thunderbird and store it along with your profiles folder in an encrypted TrueCrypt container.

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

PGP but nobody uses it.

4. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

Depends what you want to encrypt.

If you want to encrypt outbound email and decrypt inbound email messages, then GnuPG/PGP encryption + the T'Bird Enigmail plugin is an excellent option. The setup requires some time and effort, and good luck finding many friends willing to install it at their end - especially those who no longer use a dedicated email client, and have switched to a web-based service.

If you want to encrypt stored messages, then I agree with the last post - put your T'Bird profile inside an encrypted partition or container. I use DiskCryptor this way - and when I unmount the encrypted partition, all my stored messages are locked away from view. TrueCrypt will also do this effectively.

5. theprivateguy

theprivateguy Registered Member

If you only want to encrypt local storage of Thunderbird then you can use file lockers like Folder Lock, Ciphee, Iron Key, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.