Best program to test watermark software

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by david banner, Jan 28, 2015.

1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

I want to try some water mark softwares in a virtual environment or where I can restore like with AX64.
    http://www.visualwatermark.com/ will not work in comodo sandbox

I have recently reinstalled windows and do not want to be installing/uninstalling software

Suggestions welcome

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I think you are using or have used Sandboxie in the past. I just tested Visual watermark under Sandboxie. It installs fine in a sandbox and runs well sandboxed. I am not sure how to use Visual watermark but I was able to make changes in pictures and save the changes out of the sandbox. You can use SBIE to test this program.

Bo

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. david banner

Thanks for that. I was going to try SB but some programs will not run in it

4. bo elam

Yes, it runs fine. If you like to keep the installation in the sandbox, you can run the program by clicking "Run from Start menu" after right clicking the SBIE icon in the taskbar and hovering over the sandbox where you install VW. Or, to make it easier to run the program, you can create a sandboxed shortcut for VW in Configure>Windows shell integration.

And I suggest, create a separate sandbox for the installation. You don't need the paid version for that. Make sure not to tick Drop rights or restrict the sandbox to allow VW to install properly.

Bo

5. david banner

Many thanks. What does file eligible for immediate recovery/can be moved out of sandbox mean? Why would you remove a file if you want the program sandboxed?

I also do not understand the program seems to be installed in the real C:\program files though i run it sandboxed

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  6. bo elam

You get an Immediate recovery popup to save files out of the sandbox. For a program like VW, Immediate recovery allows you to to save copies of pictures in which you make changes to when running the program under Sandboxie.

In other words, you drop a picture into VW, you make changes to the picture like adding the watermark, after changes are done in the sandbox, to that point, all you done is inside the sandbox, then you get a popup from Sandboxie giving you the option to either save the file or close the popup.

If you dont want to save any kind of file while running VW sandboxed, go to:

Sandbox settings for the sandbox where you installed VW, untick "Immediate recovery" in Recovery>Immediate recovery.

Also, in Sandbox settings for the sandbox where you installed VW, delete all the folders that you see in Recovery>Quick recovery

If you change your mind about saving files out of the sandbox, you need to configure the folder where VW and Sandboxie are set to save files. The way it comes after you installed VW, you wont be able to save files, let me know and I ll show you how to set that up.

About saving files in general. Settings: Immediate recovery and Quick recovery are settings in Sandboxie that makes using programs like Sandboxie convenient. This options allows you to run programs (like your email client, browsers, Office, VW, etc) sandboxed and still be able to download files and save them if you want or save file that you create when running anything sandboxed. But, if you dont want to save files out of the sandbox, do what I wrote above.

If you right clicked the installer and choose to run sandboxed, the program installed sandboxed. Anyway, you seeing the Immediate recovery popup, tells me the program installed sandboxed. Why would you think it did not?

Bo

7. david banner

Thanks. I wondered because it is in C:\Program Files.

When something is installed in the comodo sandbox the path is C:\VTRoot\HarddiskVolume2

EDIT I can see it was in sandbox as when I deleted sandbox the program was gone

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  8. bo elam

Great. For me, in my W7, the path to the installation folder for VW looks like this (C:\Sandbox\Bo\Prueba\drive\C\Program Files\Visual Watermark). Prueba is the name of the sandbox where I installed the program. When you install a program sandboxed, nothing is written to C:\Program Files.

Bo

9. david banner

i get firewall warnings about registry changes when running some programs in SB. Is that the real registry or a sandboxed one?

10. bo elam

Your firewall is supposed to treat programs running in the sandbox the same as the ones that are not running sandboxed. If a program is trying to connect, your Firewall should warn you. If a sandboxed program create new registry keys or make changes to the existing registry, all is in the sandbox.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?SandboxHierarchy#keys

Bo

11. david banner

OK I understand. Thanks for your great help.

12. bo elam

You are welcome, David. :)

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.