best free Virtumonde remover?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have a buddy that has Virtumonde on his system. Is there an updated removal tool for this somewhere? Will SAS remove it?

thanks

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

VundoFix and VirtumondeBegone if I remember rightly. Yes SAS has rules to remove it although the infection changes.

3. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Most AVs are having a hard time removing Vundo, especially the file-infecting one. Tell him to scan with Kaspersky, SuperAntiSpyware and VundoFix/VundoBeGone. If those applications/tools can't remove it, post a hijackthis log here.

thanatos

4. acr1965

will do, thanks

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

6. acr1965

Apparently VundoFix got rid of it. I checked VundoBeGone and NOD32 shot up a red flag. But anyway it looks like VDF got rid of it, so he says anyway...I guess we'll see.

7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

It is normal. Since VirtmundoBeGone kills processes, NOD32 sees it as a risk tool. A process killer can be used for the good or the bad. However, that doesn't matter to an AV, it's just doing its job ---- detect and remove threats.

thanatos

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  8. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

With reference to the canned fix's it pays to bear in mind that they as the blacklist scanners have to be kept updated with new variants as they appear ITW.

FWIW the latest Vundo evolution(Vundo.Type.V/File infector) can only be fully whacked and recovered by Combofix + custom script. If any of the others attempt disinfection it will leave the victim/Tech with some real fun and games restoring corrupted software values:'(

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Vundo/Virtumonde spyware has morphed into many different versions and not one single remedy will work on all types. Vundofix will work with the "classic" forms of Vundo spyware (it worked fine for me). It unfortunately depends on what type of Vundo infection that you have.:mad:

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When this polymorphic Vundo/Virtumonde spyware installs itself on my system, I offer it 2 ways to die and it won't be VundoFix or VundoBeGone. :)

11. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

I got it once and got rid of it by going back to a previous restore point.

12. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

I just cleaned up one of these a couple days ago, pesky bugger.

Vundo is the new coolwebsearch

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, I use a similar method with FDISR (fast removal), the second way is restoring an Image with ShadowProtect (slow removal).
    The advantage is that both methods will ALWAYS work , no matter how many versions Vundo will have in the future. My guess is that all these Vundo removal tools need to be adjusted and updated constantly to remove new versions of Vundo and that is a neverending story, just like CWS. I don't like such solutions, they require too much work and I'm lazy. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.