Best free security right now, but

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nixie21, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

I'm bored now - you're trying to teach me to suck eggs but giving no accurate response to the OP. Outbound protection is crucial - if only to protect your *friends' computers* from malware you haven't managed to keep off your machine - any idea that 100% of Windows users can do that 100% of the time is a total nonsense, and I'm sure you know that.

Bye

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

StevieE9, TLu

Depends on your defense approach. I like to focus on the entry points, so I use an inbound firewall (hardware NAT + SPI router), policy sandbox and behavioral blocker protection to protect against shoot in the food errors. I think that is enough, but everyone has different taste in regard to a multilayered approach.

Off course the digital fort knox has:
    - inbound protection
    - mitigates entry points (threat gates) of your PC (virtualisation or policy sandbox)
    - guards excution entry (anti executable, like EQSecure or SSM)
    - provides process/anomoly containment (behavior blocker or advanced Anti Executables like EQSecure, NeoavaGuard and AppDefend)
    - protects data layer (coreforce, drive sentry, sensiveguard)
    - provides outbound protection

But that is a bit over the top for me

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That pretty much sums up my shielding set right there, i employ EQSecure 3.4 and take the time to set every single element to it's very best possible preference, and then duty that with Sandboxie for surfing duties as well as exercising the script monitorScriptDefender whereby overshadowing them all is Power Shadow that SOLIDLY virtualizes ALL drives if one so chooses, which by the way my choices from several different FD-ISR snapshots; rounding out EVERYTHING by images with not only one but "2" different imaging programs: Paragon Drive BackUp 8.51 & the lightly regarded but very swift & efficient services from DriveSnapshot.

The soft firewall is the long defunct Kerio 2.15 with NO ROUTER whatsoever, it's a strong workhorse with no overhead at all.

When using a drive without FD-ISR, i do impliment the protection abilities of Anti-Executable which is sparkling in keeping a tight ship on basic executables.

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Perhaps you'd be willing to take your own advice. The OP requires a firewall that asks no questions and does its job, not a silly piece of software that asks every time a program wants to connect to the Internet. The Windows Firewall or a router will do just fine.

Then perhaps another certain poster should be taking his/her own advice and stop trying to define what firewalls should or should not do. Pot, kettle, black?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.