Best free, easy to use firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JRCATES, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi,

I have a friend who is currently using the Windows XP software firewall. She has teenage kids who surf like most typical teenage kids do, and she isn't exactly what one would consider "PC savvy". She knows she needs a better firewall, but because of her limited knowledge, and her kids somewhat wreckless habits, she wants one that is not only good, but (perhaps more importantly) easy to use.

She tried Zone Alarm, but didn't like all of the "pop ups", and her kids were clicking whatever just to continue surfing (LOL). Ideally, she would like one that does it's job, but doesn't "ask" a lot of (or any) questions....and she doesn't want to purchase one when Windows and others are free.

Since I haven't tried Keiro, Sygate, etc., I'm wondering what others would recommend as a free, easy to use and unobtrusive software firewall for her. Thanks

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

One answer might be a router which is better than windows firewall.

3. JRCATES

OK, could you provide a little more detail please? I have never used a router, so I wouldn't know what to tell and explain to her (other than to say "you know as much about it as I do"). :p

4. Ailric

Ailric Guest

When Kerio 4.2.0 is being installed, you have the option of popups or not. I checked it out at ShieldsUp! and it was completely stealth. However, you will not be warned of outgoing connections unless you specify this.

The WindowsXP is perfectly fine for blocking inbound attacks, but not outging programs. For this, ZoneAlarm is the easiest.

5. JRCATES

Thanks Ailric. She tried Zone Alarm, but didn't like it. That was the firewall that I recommended to her, so now I'm feeling somewhat responsible in helping find her a replacement.

6. The Hammer

I know it's not free but would be a one time purchase and they are cheap. I would suggest a trip to a local computer store where someone knowledgeable could answer all her questions as she would probably have several. It would provide better protection and there would be no popups. They are a good idea even if she has only one computer. Perhaps you could go with her.

7. Kegel

Kegel Registered Member

Take his advice. Get a router. The Linksys Firewall Router is really all you need. I use it and the windows firewall (probbaly not needed). It is 1000% better than any software fireall and needs no configuring. Good out of the box. Plug it in, connect it and forget abou tit. No uipdates either. Regarding "outbound" connections...if you have other security apps, irusscan, trojan, spywre etc...you wont care. Nothing will get through you dont want to. Get the router, a good virus scan and Process Guard....all you need. Period.

8. JRCATES

A router might be a good idea for her, but I think I can safely say if she didn't like ZA asking questions, Process Guard would be out of the question!

I did turn her on to ewido, to use to scan and remove a lot of crap from her PC...and she liked it so much she's considering purchasing it (for the "real-time" protection). Other products I have turned her on to that she is running include AVG free AV, SpywareBlaster and I recommended WinPatrol tonight in an email (haven't heard back just yet).

But I will suggest looking into a router, but if she doesn't feel like spending any more money (since she seems to be leaning towards purchasing ewido), then I'll likely take Ailric's suggestion of looking in Kerio 4.2, unless some people have some other ideas....

9. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

10. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Kerio 4.2.0 is just fine... :D

11. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Kerio 4.2.0 seems the way to go. :)

12. The Hammer

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the router would be a good choice. most firewalls will give u pop-ups so afaik its the router or nothin. for ease of use id normally recommmend ZA but then again i already know how to use a FW and stuff...

14. JRCATES

I did, she tried, she didn't like. That's why I'm asking about "other" firewalls, because I haven't used Kerio, Sygate, etc. (where as I have used Zone Alarm, that's why I recommended it...she just didn't like all the pop-ps).

15. The Hammer

The only firewall that I know of that does not ask questions is Trend Micro's and that does not come by itself and it's not the best. It's also not free.

16. JRCATES

Yeah, I know, Hammer. The McAfee personal firewall doesn't ask many questions either, but it isn't free. And you're right, Trend Micro's isn't much of an upgrade from Windows.

Oh well, I figured that maybe some Sygate users might have an opinion, but at least the Kerio users have spoken out. Looks like I'll either recommend a router (if she wants to pay) or Kerio. Thanks for all of your help.

17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Avg has one with a firewall now? set and leave for the non techies? :rolleyes:

18. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Yes the Kerio option "no popus" makes it work as XP firewall does. It allows all outgoing and blocks all incoming. That is also what most Firewall/routers do.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Any firewall with app control is going to ask questions. If you want something that asks no questions, then CHX-I will work, but you get no app control with that, just like the WinXP firewall or Kerio 4 with the simple config option (I have not used it this way, but it sounds like that's what you get). Kerio 4 would probably be more configurable, but you'll likely get popups if you configure it any and give it more control and power.

So probably the best thing if you don't want any user interaction would just be a router or something like CHX-I or the Windows FW. Otherwise, you will almost certainly get questions from any other software.

20. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

While the router would not result in any popups, the Windows Firewall would still offer the same inbound protection. The only prompts from the Windows Firewall would be for applications wanting server/inbound connections.

As Kerodo mentioned, all applications firewalls are going to prompt. Unless they are adding new applications every day :rolleyes: there should not be much after the initial setup and configuration.

Regards,

CrazyM

21. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I'm guessing she is probably seeing all the pop-ups that ZA is warning of inbound alerts?? These alets can easily be switched off (but still logged) and then she would only get outgoing alerts when apps access the internet - as she would with any FW that offer outbound control. But as others have said, after a few days of using all her known and trusted apps, once she has ticked teh box to remember the setting she wouldn't get any more prompts for that app unless it is changed by a legitimate update or malicious tampering.

ZA Free has got to be one of the easiest for novices. Kerio 4.2 is also very easy and the free version, once trial has expired, provides stronger application launch control than ZA, but could cause more pop-ups than she would like.

22. The Hammer

The real problem is the teenagers not her. JRCATES said they just click allow so they can keep surfing.

23. dread

dread Registered Member

You can make mcafee ask. Go to utilities then alert settings and choose Do Not Use Smart Recommendations btw. And you can adjust the alarms to. For free I say go with kerio or sygate, I dont like zonealarm to buggy both free and paid versions. If you have her to get a router remember it will not ask to allow the application it will just block it. So if something cant get on the internet she will have to learn how to go in the rounter setup and port forward the right port number for every application that is being blocked. And she has to know enough to know that the program is being blocked by the router and nothing is wrong with program. Here is some sites that list apps and what ports they use http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm

24. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

You could use free Kerio 2.1.5 Once you have set up your rules add a last rule to block everything else and not to give a pop up. That way any new app will not work and Kerio will not ask. This is the way I run mine. Kerio works on a top down through the rules.

25. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I've used Outpost for awhile now and like how it take care of the pop-up. Easy to set-up and run, but for now, I'm using Tiny Firewall 2005. It's very hard to used and understand, one feature I like about Tiny is that you can set up your own rules, but one bad thing I don't like is, it does not block pop-up like Outpost.

So my advise is to get and try Outpost, simple and it's does it's job without asking the user a lot of question. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.