Best Detection For On Demand Scanner:

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by apathy, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hey Guys/Gals,

I bought Avira a year or two ago and love it. Yet Avira is a bit too heavy for my 3 year old laptop. I'm running OA, SBIE, FDISR and I was thinking that I could just run an on demand scanner to keep the nasties off me without sacrificing my memory/cpu.

If you guys could give me some suggestions I'd appreciate it.

2. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I am using Avira on one of my machines which is 7 years old. Avira is one of the lightest antivirus.

Also, recommend A2 Free as a great on-demand scanner.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

Well the thread is wrongly started. There is no best i think.Better then what you have ther should be something like giving up some of your set up and stick with Avira and a simple firewall

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Keeping in mind that a thread like 'this av versus that av' is not allowed ...

If you're cautious, maybe you don't need an AV ! Considering the other security software you're using. Have you considered that especially your security software combo may place an undue burden on your laptop ? Especially if there are conflicts ?

VIPRE (Sunbelt Software) offers a fully-featured (15 days?) free trial, and many people say it's light, although I've also read the opposite. I have no idea how it fits in your security combo. I also haven't seen any good/decent comparative review, sadly.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Use Avast on demand with only the standard shield installed. That should be light enough.

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I use various online scanners.

7. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I really don't think you would need any antimalware softwares since you're using Sandboxie. However, if you want to be 100% safe, use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware free. It's light on system resources and has great detection rate.:thumb:

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Avira heavy? :doubt: I put Avira on 8 year old pc's and it runs fine. It sounds like you should invest a little time maintaining your current OS install. ;)

Honestly this thread is going to turn into A vs. B really quick.

9. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Avira added quite a bit of load time to my 9/10 yr. old Dell XPS. I hated the splash screen.

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Takes <30 sec to disable.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes it's always good to have a few on hand.

12. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I don't agree with you. Boot time is 10 seconds faster on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook running 1.7MHz with 1 GB of ram using Avira Premium AV or Suite as opposed to NIS 2009. In addition, you can easily disable the Avira splash screen.

13. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I think a2 is best for on demand. High detection for both spyware/adaware and viruses and good removal.

14. tipo

tipo Registered Member

the lightest on system resources is NOD32 AV. have tried them all untill i got to this conclusion...trust me! use nod32 and comodo firewall pro you`re safe & fast :D

15. risl

risl Registered Member

I think you didn't quite understand what the topic is about.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Why not run Avira as on-demand scanner? I do that with Avira AntiVir Personal... just did not install the Guard. Since you already own the Premium version, or the Suite, you could disable the Guard or uninstall and re-install, unchecking Guard, whatever the case may be. :)

17. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hi apathy;

With your other security applications, Avira on-demand should serve you well;
    I use it that way in several of my installs and love it's detection capability and scan speed.

I assume you also have the (Kaspersky engine ?) scanner in the OA firewall.

Other posts have mentioned online scanners, and I'm a big fan of many of them.
    One I've played with recently and really like is the new Eset (beta) scanner; you might give that a try as well.
    Here's a link.

http://beta.eset.com/eos

18. Fuzzfas

Forgive the slight OT. Does Avira on demand require a background process running all the time?

Thanks.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No it does not. :)

20. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

There is a portable Version of Avira here .It's not officially suported,one of the main users on their forum have reccomand it.
    Also i have to say that the on demand scanner in Avira detects'l less than the Guard.Probably it should be like this but just wanted to let u know.

21. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I believe you should also uncheck the Scheduled daily update within the program.

Also a start up entry for the tray icon not to appear.

22. Fuzzfas

Thank you Page 42 and Virtumonde. I will add Avira Personal on demand. :D

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Agree. I set the scheduler service to manual. Then I put a shortcut to preupd.exe from the Avira installation directory on my desktop. http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=74097 :thumb:

24. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I installed Avira on demand too, disabled scheduler service, removed start up entry, eliminated nag screen and put a preupd.exe shortcut in Start Menu folder.

This is great workaround and you can easily and very fast scan files by right clicking them.

One question:In installation I got a choice for W32 file heuristics or sth between low, balanced and high and since I'll run it on demand I set it to high.

But how can I cahnge that now if I want to?

25. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

See image...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.