Best anti-spyware for business use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hutchingsp, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

We use Trend OfficeScan 8 on our desktop PCs.

These days it's malware/spyware that it has to deal with more than traditional viruses.

I guess the paranoid part of me is curious what, if anything, is slipping past it, but I don't know what tools are out there that are free, and could ideally be ran as a one-off from a logon script or similar, that wouldn't require an installation, and would report back to a central location?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Free options are typically restricted to non-business use, although I don't recall any paid options that meet these requirements either.

Personally, I'd go with a good AV that has decent AS support (all the good ones do).

Blue

3. hutchingsp

It's more the "Second Opinion" that I guess would be nice - in principle Trend is "good AV that has decent AS support" yet we still get machines that seem to end up with stuff on them and a full run of Spysweeper/Spybot is needed and sometimes not even that is sufficient.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In a business environment, the application base is typically either static or well controlled and not changing. This is the type of environment in which account configuration (limited user under SuRun with SRP (software restriction policies) for finer control) or products such as AntiExecutable/Deep Freeze tend to excel. Basically you exercise strong control over what is run and/or resides on the machine. These approaches are a lot more robust than secondary AS scanning. The former is free, the latter is a paid application. Both work.

Blue

5. hutchingsp

All fair points, and many of our machines do fall into the category of regular desktops with the users running as regular users.

I'm doing a little digging into Comodo's BoClean - not quite standalone but looks free even for business use and hopefully pretty unobtrusive, I need to do some reading and then give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.