Best alternative to F-Secure AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have used F-Secure 5.X for ages now and have found it to be a fantastic application.

I have tried the latest version (5.5) and was irritated to find that for some unknown reason they have decided to include a second rate built in firewall. (Why do they do these things! - Im sure most users have decided on a firewall already and are happy with it)

I will not be using the latest version of F-Secure AV as I like AVs which are AV and firewalls which are firewalls (Im waiting for some vendor to produce a firewall with a built in word processor and spreadsheet!)

What AV would the people here say is the best AV ?

Advice welcome.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi ChrisP.

I agree with you on A/V + Firewall packages.
    I prefer seperate programs. ;)

What is the best A/V?
    That's a difficult question with a lot of good answers.
    There are many good A/V programs and everyone will have their own preference.

What are the most important factors for you with an A/V program?
    Resource usage,update frequency,ease of use,support etc...

3. doshe

doshe Guest

well virus detection must be the best and for that they must have good antivirus definitions all other is not that imported.

f-secure is no1 for me

nod32 is very good and very easy for system + fast scanning but I don't know will it find viruses which f-secure will not sure

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Did F-Secure raise the price, to cover the Firewall? Can you disable the Firewall if you want to?

If they didn't raise the price, & if the firewall usage is optional, what's the harm? Otherwise -- I am forewarned: I won't ever consider buying this AV; thank you very much; & Bob's your uncle. :D

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Dont know about the price. I tried the eval version.

Dont know if you can turn off the firewall facility - but BE WARNED - it does not work with BlackICE - It would not let me access the net, email etc even if I set its firewall to "allow all".

I have since uninstalled it and found it screwed my BlackICE installation - to the extent that I cant uninstall BI or install a fresh copy over the top - so now I need to spend 48 hours installing the OS and all other files again.

Great product F-Secure, well done!

Im thinking of marketing a pair of shoes which comes with built in trousers, or toothpaste which sprays deoderant under your armpits when you brush yout teeth.

Im assuming thet F-Secure will continue to update the virus defs for 5.41 for those of us that dont want their new nightmare?

6. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

@chrisP

looks like you have installed f-secure internet security 2004 beta...
    BETA version... do you know what is a beta versiono_O

it gives you an option when installing to install both or av only or firewall only!

they will be relased as separate products too..

see thread f-secure internet security beta in this subforum...

when installing f-secure beta version displays warnings that it does not work with other firewalls installed.. and it displays warnings that before the installation continues , the installation program will uninstall the other fw product...

can you read chrisP... why don't you read the very big warning messages? this is completely your own fault, but maybe it will teach you a lesson...

and this is a beta version.. beta version are not for inexperienced users..you shoul've read even more warning messages.. when you were downloading it.. yyes there are warning messages at f-secures site too

have you contacted f-secures support for the problems you had? they have a separate support for this beta version, accessible from the same page you downloaded it, the progarm even records log files of the programs and these logs can be sent to the support personnel.. i have sent them at least tens of e-mails and got an answer to all, and promises that the vulnerabilities i have discovered will be fixed in the future versions...

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Logical move here would be removing BlackICE before installing F-Secure firewall.

tECHNODROME

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

illukka.

"looks like you have installed f-secure internet security 2004 beta...
    BETA version... do you know what is a beta versiono_O" -

NO, YOU ARE WRONG. It was "F-Secure Anti-Virus Client Security" that I installed. A full release and not a beta. And yes, I do know what a beta is.

"when installing f-secure beta version displays warnings that it does not work with other firewalls installed.. and it displays warnings that before the installation continues , the installation program will uninstall the other fw product...

can you read chrisP... why don't you read the very big warning messages? this is completely your own fault, but maybe it will teach you a lesson..."

Again, you are wrong. It displays no warning message at all concerning removing existing firewalls - so in answer to your question, I didnt read the warning as it was not there. And yes it did teach me a lesson - not to use their av.

illukka, I dont know why you have to be so arrogant, rude and ignorant. "it will teach me a lesson" etc. You clearly have some grudge and have wrongly assumed I was referring to a different product.

Feel free to download it and try it for yourself:
    https://europe.f-secure.com/download-purchase/download-forms/anti-virus-cs.shtml

Anyway, does anybody here know if 5.41 will continue to be updated?

9. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

sorry, i assumed that you had fsis2004 coz you said something about virusengine 5.50. still f-secure has excellent support, even for evaluation versions.. the correct thing would've been contacting support before posting this kind of stuff here..they would have come uo with a solution for sure... instead you post bs about the product...

licensed owners of f-secure products will receive free upgrades, and i see no reason why not to upgrade to 5.50.. i suppose that with the addition of the libra engine, the products with fprot engine will probably not be supported.. contact support@f-secure.com for more info on the matter

is your pc a single workstation or is it connected to a corporate network? i'm asking this coz the client security is not a product designed for home use: https://europe.f-secure.com/products/anti-virus/clientsecurity/

about being'arrogant, rude and ignorant' there's a saying in finnish: niin metsä vastaa kuin sinne huudetaan... i can't really translate it but it applies to this situation... meaning that this is what your previous posts have indicated... you get what you ask for that is..

10. p9805

p9805 Guest

illukka

which engines does f-secure 2004 using??

thanks

11. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

fsis 2004 uses avp, libra and orion engines, avp we all know, orion is the dedicated heuristic engine and libra is the new component , of which no info is currently available. these three= f-secure av version 5.50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.