Before I buy...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kkendrix, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkendrix

kkendrix Registered Member

I have a dual boot system with Windows XP on the "C" harddrive and Windows XP Professional on the "F" harddrive. Will I have any problems using Acronis True Image version 8 with this setup? Any special precautions or "gotcha's" of which I should be concerned?

2. A|ex

A|ex Registered Member

You shouldnt have any problems becuse you are using windows, only possible issue is your drive numbering. Is that windows numbering or machine numbering of drives?

3. kkendrix

kkendrix Registered Member

It is the Windows numbering. When I boot to the "C" side, I get drive letters "C" and "F". When I boot to the "D" side, I get drive letters "C" and "D". Does that make sense?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kkendrix,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Everything should work normally with your configuration with one exception. Let me explain the situation and the action order which may result in errors. For example, you have two images: one for each partition. You delete your second (F) partition and boot your first Windows. After that you restore the image of F partition to the place where it had bee before and reboot your system into your first Windows. It will see your second (restored) partition not as F but as D one. It means that if you have any icons etc that depends on the drive letter on your C partition you won't be able to use them. However you will be able to boot the restored Windows normally and there would be no errors.

You may correct the situation by changing the letter of your F partition. In order to do this please boot your first Windows (which sees the second partition as F) and navigate to "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Computer Management" -> "Disk Management". Right click on the F drive and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths". In the appeared screen shoose "Change" and select the D letter. Close all the opened windows by pressing the "Ok" button.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.