BCU - Browser Configuration Utility

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Apologies for yet another thread, but Wilders is my only hope. I have home-worked the net and got nowhere so far, so I will ask my friends here. It has the impressive name of - Browser Configuration Utility Auto-Recovery Service.

Recently, I have noticed BCU.exe and BCUService.exe pop up in my Active Processes List. I do not know where it came from or what program owns it. The providers appear to be DeviceVM.
    It takes 296K of Memory, with a memory peak of 2,212K and 712K VM. It all sounds one hell of a lot of resource. AND for whom or what ?

I have disabled BCU.exe using CCleaner and Blocked the files using Comodo Defense+, but it still comes up on the running processes and keeps asking Comodo to modify the Registry key which is disabled every few seconds. Consequently the Comodo Defense Events are growing at a massive rate.

The whole thing is a pain. I wish I could quarantine every bit of it, but none of my several security programs pick it up as a threat.

Please can anybody tell me what this parasite is ? Where did it come from ?
    How can I get rid of it ?
    The only download I have recently had worth a mention is Sandboxie - surely that did not place this nuisance on my PC ?

Any explanations and help will be greatly appreciated.

John Bull

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you mention your set-up (esp. the OS and the "added" security software) in your signature, it maybe easier for folks to help you.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Software Informer

DSL Reports Post

4. John Bull

I am sorry, but I simply do not know where this item came from. I have Windows 2002 XP Home, SP3. Comodo Firewall Pro, Spywareblaster, AVG9, Sandboxie and apart from that, I don`t know where the hell this BCU came from.

OK, I can uninstall it, but does something need it ?

Not to be offensive, but what on Earth does my signature have to do with it ? The comment is not very intelligible or even relevant..

John Bull

5. John Bull

Do not know how this helps at all. I have already read this stuff - result = nothing helpful.

John Bull

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Please calm down.

In many software fora, people mention their OS and some other relevant data below their name. The whole collectively can be termed the signature.

Anyway, I'll refrain from commenting further in any of your issues. It seems things can get a bit warm.

7. John Bull

Sorry vasa1, sure can get warm if you wish, but I simply do not understand the inherent meaning of your relating my signature to the subject of my thread. There is no need to opt out of giving your valuable contributions to my threads simply because of a completely unrelated signature. I have always found your comments of great interest. What have I done to upset you ?

Signatures are funnies, NOT a precise definitive and technological specification of a users entire PC profile. They can be just "Have a nice day" or "Today is the last day of the rest of your life" or simply blank. They are a joke.

Your views are very important and helpful, as you have kindly given on other subjects. There is no need to refrain from further comment simply because my signature does not fit the curriculum of a college Computer Technology course..

What on Earth has "THE SLOWEST MOVERS LIVE LONGEST" got to do with a computer problem ? The damned thing is entirely related to Zoology and Evolution and nothing to do with computers. The oldest living thing on Earth apart from bacteria is a creosote bush in the Mojave Desert at ~11,000 years old, next being a tree at ~5,000 years old and they do not move at all ! YABBA-DABBA-DOO. Humans are a no-contest and computers have no life at all without being upgraded every few days.

Please forget signatures and concentrate on the problem described, then we can all live happily ever after like Babes-in-the-Wood. If you want any information from me that can assist in resolving my query, please just ask.

Thank you
    John Bull

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

It is safe to uninstall. Could you tell me if you're using Internet Explorer and which version?

Thanks.

9. John Bull

Nope NoIos, IE8 is a dusty icon on my desktop - I use incredible Firefox all the time.
    As I said before, I do not know where this damned BCU came from.
    It is a digitally signed piece of software and none of my security programs list it as a threat.
    I just do not like some unknown piece of junk reporting everything I do to Big Brother.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Downloaded a Browser Configuration Utility from the Asus mobo drivers site under utilities. Dunno if it's the same?

At reboot it dropped a Games icon on desktop which opened up a site that had Facebook type games like Farmville, Mafia Wars ...and a window came up asking if I wanted to change my homepage to Yahoo.

Seemed to uninstall OK through add/remove XP VM.

Install log:
    View attachment Install log.txt

11. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Also Gigabyte bandles it with some motherboards. In any case is safe to uninstall and you don't need it.

12. John Bull

And Franklin,

Thanks for your comments. I just wish I knew where the damned thing came from and what program needs it, if any.

Reading up on the net, it seems a genuine program from DeviceVM, but I never asked for it. I think it appeared when I had a repair done, a new processor was fitted and the Motherboard had a fault repaired.

If I disable BCU and disable Comodo Defense+, I get a bombardment of pop-ups asking for permission to start up.

It takes a hell of a lot of memory and I want rid of it providing it is not attached to some vital program. It is this doubt that stops me from uninstalling it. I wish I could dump it in the Recycle Bin and see if anything pops. Then if not, give it the elbow.

13. roady

roady Registered Member

Perhaps some info here,similar to your case:
    Code:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/268725-12-what-gigabyte-browser-configuration-utility

14. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

In order to be 100% sure that removing BCU will not harm other parts of your system ( I'm already sure about it ) you'll have to create an image of your boot disk using a software like macrium reflect free. Then remove BCU and see how the things go. If you see something wrong...you restore your image.

15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I agree. Geesh, just get rid of it and move on.

16. alternety

alternety Registered Member

I removed BCU and the next time I booted the machine does not find the boot drive. It may have been another cause, but be careful. And I am having absolutely no success recovering.

17. alternety

I am getting nowhere with fixing my machine. Anyone have any ideas. A way to copy/recover my RAID 0 boot drive. A repair. I discovered the recovery disk I made after installing Win 7 has no actual useful function. And I thought it protected me. Perhaps they should rename it to something meaningful. And/or clearly present useful alternatives.

Anyway. Help! Please.

18. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Alternety, you recall whether your copy was tied in with DeviceVM?

19. alternety

Sorry, I don't know what that means.

20. GlobalForce

Cause it once had a home, a home possibly named DeviceVM in your program's folder. From where was it removed?

21. alternety

No, I don't remember for sure.

I uninstalled it with an uninstaller called Revo. It runs the regular uninstaller and then looks for left over pieces. I don't recall seeing anything about deviceVM but I have also uninstalled it from a second machine. I have not rebooted this other machine. I am terrified of doing so. It is my only operating PC. I think I saw it removing things with deviceVM in them. But I really was not paying very much attention. Simple removal of a program; whats to watch?:oops:

I ran a search for deviceVM on this machine. The only things found are associated with an HP printer driver. The term is embedded in a couple of things. But after removing bcu that is what I would expect.

I am still looking for a win 7 standalone diagnostic/repair disk. I have found UBCDWin. It requires a copy of XP with at least SP2. Somewhere I have one; where is another issue.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  22. GlobalForce

OK you've got Paragon - I take somehow not part of the recovery equation. Back in your first post you commented this could've been related to something else, something else you executed or addressed on a system level, something other you suspect may have had an impact?

Mention whether your box shipped with install disks, a recovery partition or if you've had a run with RK Express.

How about your connection - DSL or higher? And Linux, you ever burn'n boot a live system?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  23. alternety

I have built a CD with UBCD4Win. It sees the RAID array just fine. I can copy data from the array. I could try to restore from the copy but I suspect I would be right back where I am. I think something went wrong in the OS.

Any thoughts on what I can do to make the native Win 7 see the array? If you could identify where and what to look at or post for assistance that would be a real help.

24. GlobalForce

If I were in your shoes I'd hang with Lsdmeasap - he(?) sounds like an experienced veteran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.