Battlefield 3 and Origin in a Sandbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by max2, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max2

max2 Registered Member

Is there anything else I can do to make this sandbox more secure ? Remember though the actual program and game is installed in a sandbox so restrictions part won't work for this one.

Attached Files:

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Why would you want to sandbox a game like that anyway? I have been gaming without a firewall for years and years (I turn them off for gaming if I use firewalls), and have never ever, ever had an issue.

Now Origin, I can see maybe some think that is spyware lol. But the game itself? I just don't see the need to do that for a game myself. And yes, I do have BF3 (but won't buy mw3).

Sul.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

This has caused quite a stir on some of the forums around the internet. I don't know enough about it to have an opinion since I don't have any EA games but it has been some interesting reading about it.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Origin may sound like some kind of ad aware but i'm pretty sure it will not keylog or mess up your comptuer :cautious:
    So enjoy the game!! :D

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You're also risking upsetting the PunkBuster anti cheat by running in Sandboxie.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yeah, I have seen some of that too. I don't really care one way or the other myself. I will say though that they should have copied steam a little better. Origin is so lacking compared to steam.

The worst part though IMO is that you have to load a webpage to play a match. No more in-game browser. We have been calling it BattleVille rather than BattleLog because it seems like a facebook type of thing lol. I don't mind stats and stuff, but I really don't need to see that my buddy unlocked a new scope or got a new achievment. Maybe the younger generations like that foo-foo. This old time gamer isn't always excited about how they make games better. Give me dedicated servers instead of the facebook clone ;)

Heh heh, of course that would be wasted on me because I don't get much time to play games anymore. If I am not working, gaming is actually fairly low on the priority list these days. Sucks to get old :)

Sul.

7. max2

max2 Registered Member

Oh there a certain way to install it because PunkBuster wouldn't work in a sandbox anyway sense it uses drivers.

8. max2

max2 Registered Member

Well mainly because of Origin. It is fun too. I sandbox other games too though I didn't have to.

The other reason is there easier to uninstall completely.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I hear you about not wanting to have it installed.

I installed it to my data drive (d:\program files), all the game content etc there too. When I want to start over (which is pretty often) I put my image back on my c: drive, then install origin back to the d: drive. My data is all there etc so don't have to redownload. Yet when I want a clean system, I put my image on. Takes about 5 minutes including reboots and I am back to a nice clean state.

I understand implicitly why you do that. Have you thought about installing Origin in SBIE, then recoving the game data to the real location, then making an exclusion for the game data so that you are only sandboxing origin but not the actual game? Or some other form of manipulation along those lines. Many ways come to mind. EDIT: this way you can delete the sandbox, and origin, but when you want to install it again (in the sandbox) it will still use the game data that is on the real drive (because you recovered that portion to the real drive).

Sul.

10. max2

max2 Registered Member

Good idea but how would I do that ? Wouldn't Origin still be installed in a sandbox though? So I still wouldn't be able to use restrictions.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Install Origin to sandbox.
    Give direct access to game directory (or read access, whatever it needs)

For me, I have the digital download of BF3, so I have to download 12gb, not something I am fond of doing really. So in my case it would be something like this.

Install Origin to sandbox.
    Download game, selecting to keep installer etc.
    Recover game data (I think Origin is its own directory, Origin Games is another, can't remember exactly) to the physical location.
    Run origin within sandbox, excluding the game.exe from being sandboxed (by using allow accesses options, multiple might work).
    When hating on origin, delete the sandbox.
    When loving origin again, install in sandbox again, making sure exclusions are in place so game.exe can run outside of sandbox.

Rinse and repeat ;)

Something along those lines anyway. It should be able to work.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.