BartPE Plugin for ATI 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Keith Weisshar, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Weisshar

Keith Weisshar Registered Member

I bought an upgrade to Acronis True Image 11. Why is the BartPE plugin no longer included even when I selected the complete installation option in the ATI 11 installer?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

BART is gone and Safe Mode is gone from the Boot CD. Also, some new problems with being able to recognize RAID arrays. That danged linux is still the great weak link in ATI -- after all, if the linux stuff worked for more folks, BART wouldn't be needed.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is really a cunning plan to get you to use an internal drive for your backup images. In a secure zone of course! No wait a minute if you use the "try and decide feature" all the backups will be gone. Of course you will then have zero validation errors and restores will become a distant rose coloured memory.

Version 10 even in its unfinished state is looking better than ever.

Xpilot

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

That was not true when I tried this feature. I have tested both cases : accept the changes, or discard the changes. Both worked as advertised, and my data and image backups in the Secure Zone are still there. I guess it is related to how the Secure Zone works : if there is not enough free disk space, the older backup are removed. If you really do not have enough space at all, it may happen the Secure Zone need to deleted everything in it, just a guess.

I have a 50GB SecureZone on a 500GB drive, and had no backup deleted.
    If I had to guess, I would say that if you have 10GB used on your system partition, and that you apply "Try & Decide" only on this one, you should have 10GB free space on your Secure Zone in addition of your backups. But once again, that is a pure guess, I could be wrong.

Regards,
    gkweb.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello gkweb,

Thanks for that information. I have not yet installed Version 11 so I was going by my understanding of the user manual and the FAQs that I have read.
    My secure zone is always virtually full with whole drive image back ups as I take advantage of its automatic FIFO management and the added security that it provides.
    Unless V 11 allows creation of more than one secure zone it looks as though I would have to sacrifice some of my backup images to make room for the try and decide feature. The zone is in on a separate hard drive and there is no unallocated space on the disk so expansion of the zone is not an option.

Xpilot

6. gkweb

Hello Xpilot,

From the help file included with TI 11 :

From this description, If I have 10GB used on my system partition, Try&Decide needs at the very least 2GB of free space on the Secure Zone, or more. I checked for myself, and with Vista plus few programs I install on C I use 15GB, therefore I need at least 3GB of free space. If I want to use Try&Decide on all my partitions (you have this choice when you start it), given the fact I have a total of 100GB of data including all partitions, I need at least 20GB of free space in the Secure Zone, more is advised.

Also, still from the help, it seems that the backups in the Secure Zone won't be affected/deleted. I wonder however if that means that no backup will be deleted in any cases, and that in case of lack of space you will have a warning, or if that means that only your last backup (the most recent) won't be deleted.

If Acronis support read this message, can you answer please ?

Regards,
    gkweb.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

So it appears that regular use of the secure zone, which will by design be always nearly full, precludes the use of the try and decide feature altogether.
    The alternative would be to delete the secure zone and start over without any history of backup images that used to be available.
    I can see that in a test situation where the zone has lots of free space "try and decide" will work happily with some secure zone backup images. However it is not permitted for a user to delete Secure zone images. So if it is used to store future backups it will inevitably be filled up and try and decide will no longer be available.

My understanding therefore is one can have FIFO managed secure zone images or one can use the try and decide feature. Using both on a continuing basis does not seem to be an option.

Xpilot

8. gkweb

That's also my understanding, unless Try&Decide removes old backups to reach the required space, without deleting the most recent backup. Only Acronis support can answer to that.

Regards,
    gkweb.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I wonder if a kindly Moderator could split this try and decide/secure zone discussion to a separate thread as it is diluting the original missing Bart PE thread. Yes I admit it was my fault :oops:

Xpilot

10. gkweb

Then my fault too ;) And move kikipink98 post to NOD32 forum please.
    Thanks.

Regards,
    gkweb.

11. Pinchas

Pinchas Registered Member

In my assumption trt and decide feature won't remove any old/new backups. If there is not enough space it should provide a warning that you have to expand it. If you cannot then no way to use this feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.