BartPE on another machine

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DCM, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I have created several BartPE boot disks that include DriveImageXML and a friends machine crashed.

He has some DriveImageXML images but when he tried to boot to one of my BartPE disks to restore his C: drive, it will not start.

Are the BartPE boot disks machine specific?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It may well be he has special drivers for his disk. If you can identify them you could add them to your Bartpe disk.

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Not the Bartpe itself it will start on any machine as long as the "bios" is set to boot from CD/DVD. If you mean drivers, all ide drivers will work but mass storage devices such as a "sata" hard drives will need the drivers added to the build.
    Tip: If you are having problems knowing what drivers you need or where to find them,
    you can include a Driver Pack. Chances are the Driver Pack will contain all the drivers
    you need. It is also a good idea to include a Driver Pack if you plan to use the BartPE
    CD you create on different computers. You can download a Driver Pack for network and
    mass storage drivers from http://downloads.littlbuger.info/?dlid=528. Run the exe file
    you download and choose C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers for the install location. This
    should fill the C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\Net and
    C:\pebuilder3110a\drivers\SCSIAdapter folders with drivers.

4. DCM

DCM Registered Member

My computer is an Intel 975 and his is an older AMD machine. He did not know how to access the boot order in the BIOS but it sounds like his computer boots to the CD ROM before the hard drive.

He said that he was getting a message about upgrading or updating something when he booted and I told him that was not part of BartPE. Both of the BartPE disks will boot on my computer with no problems.

I have SATA hard drives and he has IDE. Maybe that means something too. Thanks for the responsed. I downloaded the driver package and am going to install it in a few minutes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have always used both BartPE and UBCD4WIN made on several computers - on a variety of computers, without any problems.
    Mrk

6. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I thought that they were bootable on all machines too. Maybe there is something wrong with his machine. He needs it to restore his C: drive after a failure due to "sector errors". I did not see it but that is what he said caused his crash. He is running XP so I thought a crash was unusual except for hardware failure.

Personally, I would replace the hard drive, not reformat and reinstall.

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

8. DCM

DCM Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I have made 10-15 of them and they all work on my macnine. As I increase the number of programs, I create a new boot disk. I am up to 40+ programs at this time.

Thanks again

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

You're welcome.
    I have a strange problem with my external USB drive. When I am using Acronis True image, if I "cold" to boot my rescue disk I have to finish loading to the TI "full" mode then plug in the usb drive and then close the TI window causing a reboot, before I can see my external USB drive. I made a BartPe disk to get around this, small problem and I have to do the same thing with the BartPe Ie: boot right into the "true Image window" and then plug in the drive then reboot again. But, if I do a "restart" from the windows environment with the USB Drive plugged in and visable in Explorer and either the bootable TI rescue disk or Bartpe disk in the CD/DVD drive then I will see the drive booting into either environment. Very strange!
    Anybody have any ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.