Backup Virus scanner?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ejr, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Once my trial is up I am going to stick with NOD32. However, I would like from time to time to scan my system using another companies product just as a precautionary backup scan. No single anti-virus product is going to catch them all.

1. Do you all do this?

2. If so, which scanner do you use?

I'm thinking about Bit Defender's or Kaspersky's free scan.

By the way, I do the same for Spyware. I use the MS beta product to occasionally scan for spyware.

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I don't use a backup scanner. I rely on Nod32 completely. If there is not one product that can catch any virus, why using a backup? Nod32 is updated at a great rate and if they don't catch it, who will?
    If you start doubting your main AV, you may as well install another 10 AV's as a backup, because they all catch and miss certain viruses from time to time.
    Just look at some tests, if you should follow the outcomes every month, you end up in a nuthome, as this month product A is the best and misses nothing and next month it's product B that's the best. It makes me very paranoid and there fore I stick to the one 'good/best' product and that's it.
    For the spyware I use Adaware and Spybot, two great 'free' products and run these on a daily basis.

;) Putin

3. AshG

AshG Registered Member

BitDefender 8 Free :)

There's no on-access scanner to get in the way of NOD32, and like NOD32 it won an Advanced+ certification from AV-Comparatives this month. It also fills in some areas that NOD32 is lacking, such as Outlook Express db cleaning and some packed files that other utils can't seen to crack.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

It's not that I don't trust NOD32. I like it very much and believe in the product. But the idea is to have layered security. And I'm not talking about running a separate program simultaneously. Merely running a free scan from another provider every so often as an added security measure.

Kind of like you using both spybot and adaware. Both are anti-spyware products but using both provides you with a sense of security.

5. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Running a free scan does no harm whatsoever and you should do this when it gives you the right security kick! It's indeed a form of layered security, so what's keeping you?

;) Putin

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

So far NOD has popped every little nasty that I have encountered on the net or via email.
    But of course a backup scanner is not a bad idea regardless of which AV you are using.

So once a month I scan with either Panda's or Trend Micro's online scanners.
    Both of them can remove nasties if they find any, so no need to install any apps :)

But if you want an app installed, I suggest you go for BitDefender 8 free.

7. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

ejr, I use NOD32 as my main real time scanner but also use Bitdefender Ver 8.0 Free as my backup on demand scanner. I love NOd and trust it 100%, but sometimes having that bit extra protection goes an extra mile.

I've never had any issues with BD 8 Free and it runs well in conjunction with NOD.

And again it would also depend on your surfing habbits as well. If you just a light user than stick with NOD, if your a heavy user than install a backup and protect yourself an extra mile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.