Backup to Tape Autoloader

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Illegal_Operation, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illegal_Operation

Illegal_Operation Registered Member

Hi all, just to check with you on the common practices for the backup for Acronis, do most of you backup the partitions or files/folders on a daily basis? Is it the same as we backup the entire system files and folders compared with backing up the partition?

I am now using Tape autoloader (8 tapes), would Acronis be smart enough to backup the data to the next tape if the 1st tape is full? If so, what would be the best solution?

2. Illegal_Operation

anybody can help me with this?

3. Illegal_Operation

any kind soul can help me out on this?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Illegal_Operation,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please take a look at these previous threads: Operating System Restore from files-backup, Backing up the OS?. They should answer your question.

First of all, please be aware that only Acronis True Image 9.1 Corporate Family products support backing up to tape drives. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home does not allow saving backups to tape drives.

Yes, Acronis True Image 9.1 Corporate Family products allow spanning backups over several tapes. When the tape is full Acronis True Image will ask you to insert the next one.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use the above mentioned products in the respective User's Guides.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

This answer is incomplete because when you use a tapeloader you dont want acronis to ask for the next media. You just want Acronis to wait till the autoloader loaded the next tape. And then automatically goes on with the Backup.

Kind Regard
    Jeremy Otten
    Netherlands

6. Teki

Teki Registered Member

How do you get the tapes to recognize? We have ADIC Scalers which work ok with Backup Exec; however, after installing the Acronis Backup Server I can still not see the drives at all. Please help!

7. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Backup Software.

First of all, I'm very sorry for misleading you with my previous reply. The point is that I have misunderstood the initial question.

I'm afraid that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions support tape autoloaders\libraries. To be more precise, Acronis True Image does not support autochanging tapes. If you are using some kind of a tape autoloader\library the program is capable of saving backups to the current tape only, i.e. tape that is currently inserted. In other words, most probably you will not be able to save backup to tape if you are using some kind of a tape autoloader\library and backup needs to be spanned over several tapes, i.e. does not fit on one tape.

The support for tape autoloaders\libraries will most likely be implemented in the future Acronis True Image builds\versions, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. Acronis Support

Hello Teki,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (371:cool: of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3718.

Note that you should update all components including Acronis Agents, Acronis Management Console, Acronis Backup and Group Servers. It is obligatory for all components to be of the same build on order to interact correctly.

It is also recommended that you re-create Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem persists with the latest build (371:cool: of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post for the computer where Acronis Backup Server and tape drive in question are installed;

- What are the exact vendor and model of the tape drive you use?

- Let us know what you mean exactly when saying that you "can still not see the drives". Are you unable to choose this particular tape drive as default backup location when configuring Acronis Backup Server (see section 4.5.1 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide)? Describe the program behavior in detail.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.