Backup to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by peterafonin, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterafonin

peterafonin Registered Member

Hello,

Just started using Acronis TrueImage, and cannot figure out how to backup to DVD - my DVD-RW drive is not available when I create a backup location. What is the trick?

Thank you,

Peter

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I don't think you can create a Backup Location to removable media(DVD) but I'm not using V10. Look at this thread BACKUP LOCATIONS don't work (they do) and the user guide http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage10.0_ug.en.pdf (look at Chapter 7). I think you will find that DVD/CD's are not the best option for backing up. If the image size exceeds 2 or 3 DVDs there is a lot of disk swapping during a restore and you can't validate and image split across DVDs easily. A better choice is to use another internal drive or an external drive.

3. peterafonin

Thank you, Tom.

I've seen all this, but there is no word about DVD there. It says:

on any rewritable media that is recognized by the BIOS (flash card, for example)

That's all. Although on Acronis website it clearly says that I can backup to DVD.

I do most of my backups to the removable drive, but once a week I backup some most important files to DVD. Before I user Nero BackItUp for this, and it worked great for me.

Peter

4. thomasjk

Its not a problem to backup to DVD, I just don't think you can create a Backup Location there. Maybe somebody who uses V10 will jump in to help here.

5. peterafonin

Tom, it is a problem. Even if I just try to backup without creating a backup location - there is no DVD drive availavle as destination. It's available as a source for backup files (which doesn't make much sense), but not as destination.

Peter

6. thomasjk

Is this from within windows or from the rescue CD? Is the drive an external one, ide internal or sata?

7. peterafonin

It's from within Windows, it's internal drive: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 ATA Device.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

This is how my 3 CD/DVD drives are displayed when choosing either My Computer or My DATA. I refuse to backup direct to DVD but the drives are visible for me--should I desire to do so. Some may show as CD but are actually DVD.

If you want to back to removable media, you will have to choose the cdrom drive--not backup locations.

As previously suggested, preferable to use another internal or external drive. Should you want to have a backup on DVD for additional security, then suggest you use the "archive splitting option and create the backup on a hard drive and then data copy to DVD.

Attached Files:

9. peterafonin

Well, I don't see any drives - no DVD neither CD, like they don't exist. I'll try to play with splitting archive, maybe they will show up somehow. I have one DVD and one DVD-RW drive, none of them are visible even as Cd drive.

Thank you,

Peter

Attached Files:

10. peterafonin

Interesting, but when I try to create a bootable media - it doesn't work either. Acronis sees the drive, but cannot create a file. The drive itself is perfectly fine.

I had such a good experience with Acronis Director that I purchased Acronis TrueImage without any testing. I guess I was wrong.

Attached Files:

11. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

For just data, keep using Nero to simply burn the data files to DVD.

12. GroverH

Is your DVD writer a SATA or IDE? Make and model?

1. When creating the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media, try using the option to save the ISO file and then use Nero to create the disc.

2. Before starting TrueImage, try shutting down Nero in the sys tray or running services and then start TrueImage and see if your DVD writer is displayed. Your error message could be saying another program (nero INCD) has control over your writer.

3. Acronis support will probably reply to your posting here. Their response may point you to this link.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=178456#8

13. peterafonin

Thank you, I'll try this. Nero doesn't seem to be running, but I'll double-check.

Make and model were in this thread earlier:

It's internal drive: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 ATA Device.

Thanks,

Peter

14. GroverH

You might look at this link but it may not be applicable.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175955

Also look in the Events Viewer at the error message for more clues as to which program displayed the error.

There have been other postings with the same problem.
    You may want to search for DVD in the titles only for similar content.

15. peterafonin

Thank you,

Yes, I think this might be a problem to Nero installed on my machine. However, I'm not sure what to do here. I disabled all Nero services running on startup, but I don't want to uninstall it completely. I'll check maybe Nero has some options to release the DVD drives.

Peter

16. GroverH

Were you able to create the Rescue CD as I suggested in 12-1 above?

Once you get a Rescue CD created, boot from it and see which drives are displayed.

17. peterafonin

Yes, and when I boot from CD - all DVD drives are visible. But this doesn't make my life much easier.

I've even uninstalled the programs that might be hijacking drives - iTunes, Gear (don't even know how I'd got it), only Nero left, but I'm not going to uninstall it.

Thanks,

Peter

18. GroverH

I would raise an issue with Acronis Support.

You may benefit from the BartPE boot disk. Check my signature for "Useful Forum Threads".

19. peterafonin

OK, thanks.

Yes, I contacted support.

Peter

20. GroverH

Correction to my earlier post. Since your rescue CD works, you can do without the BartPE disk although you might gain some speed by using it as compared to the normal Rescue CD speed.

21. peterafonin

Thank you,

Peter

22. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello peterafonin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis Backup Location can not be created on CD\DVD discs, thus, CD\DVD drive will not be shown in the drives tree when you create Backup Location.

Please also note that as GroverH mentioned the SPTD driver version 1.43 can cause this issue.

In case you do not have Daemon tools installed, please collect the below information so we could give this issue a closer look.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

In case you already using the latest build, please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. In addition, provide the exact vendor and model of the DVD drive you use.

Please send this information to Acronis Customer Service Department, if you have not done that already. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

23. peterafonin

Aleksander,

I'm running the latest version of Acronis.

I'm using PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 ATA Device.

I submitted all my system information (ticket Acronis #1054646). I'd got a response that I had to reinstall Acronis and boot from CD. I did that, but it didn't change anything. When I boot from CD - I see all drives, but in Windows I don't see anything.

I don't have Daemon tools installed, but I had in the past. Could it be that the driver still exists somewhere? How can I check it and, if it's still here, uninstall it completely?

Thank you,

Peter

24. GroverH

25. peterafonin

Yes, I've already found stpd.sys and deleted it, then removed all registry entries associated with it, and now I can see drives.

Thanks for all you help!

Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.