Backup Software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fontaine, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Only slight related to privacy software, so I apologize in advance.
    I'm in the market for a good, yet very simple, software package to use for backing up data to an external drive. Some of the features I really would like are:
    1) Preferably open source or free
    2) Allows me to select specific folders/subfolders, not have to select every file
    3) Backs up to target drive in same structure as on my source drive. i.e. Doesn't lump everything into one master file or folder. Most software packages use some kind of file format specific to their product.
    4) Has the option to encrypt data being backed up.
    5) Does not require software to do a restore. i.e. can just copy/paste folders from backup location to new hard drive (if old one failed).
    6) Provides some kind of differential feature so that it won't do a full backup each time. Ideally, each time I do a backup, it compares the source/target files for changes to the 'date modified' and overwrites the old one with new. If a file is unchanged, then it should skip over it.

Seems like a long list, but those are pretty basic needs (at least I would think so). I have played with a few programs out there, but can't seem to find the one that fits perfectly. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!! :)

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Cobian Backup can do all of those things, but not all at once! Some of your desired features are mutually exclusive. For example, you can't expect to be able to encrypt your files and then restore them via drag-n-drop without any extra software loaded. Aside from that, Cobian is probably your best bet.

However, if you intend to keep your data in its native format then you should also consider using a synchronization program such as Karen's Replicator or SyncBackSE, although they are not as full-featured as Cobian Backup.

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

edit: typo

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

For just backing up data-use Karens Replicator

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I'd like to second on Cobian Backup, a very flexable backup program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.