Backup/Recovery using external harddisk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ErikAlbert, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I recently bought the external harddisk :
    HDD External Seagate 160GB USB 2.0 7200RPM 8MB with USB 2.0 Cable
    My motherboard has also USB 2.0. and the USB cable is not long (1 metre).
    (This is my very first experience with an external harddisk).

The backup of my Partition [C:] to Seagate Backup File (.tib) took 10m05s
    The recovery of my Seagate Backup File (.tib = 6.29gb) to Partition [C:] took 34m18s
    Is it normal that a restore takes 34m18s, while an archive takes only 10m05s ?

So I tried another method in two steps :
    1. I copy/paste the .tib-file from my Seagate harddisk to my data partition [D:] and that took 3m34s
    2. I recover the .tib-file from data partition [D:] to my system partition [C:] and that took 8m24s
    3m34s + 8m24s = 11m58s, which is alot faster than 34m18s, almost 3x faster.

What do you think of my experiences ? :)

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

My results over quite a long time covering several builds of V8 and 9 mirror yours almost exactly.
    Images created to my internal slave drive and USB drives take the same time. At present this is 34 minutes. Resorations from the slave drive take half that at 17 minutes while those from the USB drives take from 3/4 Hr to 1 hour.
    I have been told by Acronis that there may be problems with my set up and they asked for some tests to be done. I insist that it is a problem with their recovery CD drivers.
    I use three different USB drives, a proprietory one from WD, a no name enclosure from Maplins and an Ibuddy enclosure. Since the results are the same for each of these I cannot believe that there is a problem there. In my computer I have two USB-PCI cards one is a NEC the other calls itself a standard PCI adapter. I get the same results whichever set of connections I use.
    It is only when reading from the USB drives using the recover CD drivers that I get the slow down, in all other operations the USB drives work fine at normal speeds.
    Having said all that I am not really concerned as I do recoveries normally from a slave drive,which is a lot quicker and my USB drives are a second line of defence which I may never have to use.

Xpilot

3. ErikAlbert

Well that is pretty weird.
    My Seagate Manual tells me USB 2.0 = 480 Mbits/second and I checked this on other websites.
    1 Mbit = 122 KB/second. 480 Mbits/second = 58,560 KB/second

My .tib-file = 6,597,088 KB / 58,560 KB = 113 seconds = 1m53s = 2 minuts.
    That is of course the theoretical speed. Let's take half speed = 4 minuts.

My time for backup = 10m05s and restore = 34m18s. That isn't even close to 4 minuts.
    A copy/paste of the same .tib-file from external harddisk to internal harddisk takes only 3m34s and that is close to 4 minuts and that proves there is nothing wrong with my USB or Seagate Harddisk.

So there must be something wrong with Acronis True Image.
    It can't be my hardware. Seagate/Motherboard is all USB 2.0 and the USB cable is short.

What does Acronis Support think about that ?

4. ErikAlbert

My question must have been a tough one for Acronis Support? :)

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ErikAlbert,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you have tried to perform the desribed operations within windows then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

In case you have tried it booting from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.