Backup/Recovery/Imaging- laptop- BootIt NG

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tepe2, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

If this post is in wrong category please move it to the right category.

I bought a laptop. Asus UL30VT. It is 13,3" so it has no CD/DVD drive. It came with Windows 7 (64) installed. Also with a lot of Asus utility. No Windows CD/DVD. But the manual say there is a hidden recovery partition. I believe this has no name and is 16 GB. And I have OS on C-partition. And there is a Data partition D:

Everytime I logon a tool called AI Recovery popup to tell me I should make a backup of my "factory state Windows". Hm, the problem is when I try to, it says "No DVD writer found". Of course, because I have no. And I dont want to buy an external DVD drive.

(On my desktop I have: XP Home SP2. CD/DVD drive. Use BootIT NG for both imaging and as a partition tool. A lot of programs, also those in my sig. My OS-partition has only 10 GB in use.)

Before you keep on reading keep in mind the following: I love BootIt NG and would like to buy another license so that I can use it on my laptop. For both partitioning, but most important imaging my OS-partition.

1. My OS partition had 26 GB in use. I removed a couple of Asus utility (not all of them) and installed Firefox and Thunderbird. My OS partiton has now 25 GB in use. Why so many GB? How much space does Windows 7 require?

2. How can I make a backup of my factory state Windows to an ext drive or USB-stick?

3. How do you use BootIt NG when theres no CD/DVD drive? Download and install at the end of the hdd?

4. How to make a clean install of Windows 7? (In case I decide to)

5. How to make a reliable backup of the recovery partition, and store it on USB-stick or ext.drive? (I guess it must be able to boot if I should make use of it one day)

Theres a lot of things to learn, I just need to get started. When all this recovery/imaging thing is covered I should start with security and OS hardening but that comes later:)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, I know zero about BING but I do use terabyte imaging.Their license for home/personal use is
    You should be good to go on the laptop

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Hi Timcan. I just read that in another thread. But thanks anyway:) A few years since I bought BootIt and as far as I remember my license is only for one pc. But I hope Im wrong:) I find out soon enough.

If I have to pay for another license it still would be worth it. BING is my best computer software buy ever :thumb:

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I did a little mistake in my first post. You could get the impression that my OS-partition on desktop was 10 GB and 25 GB on laptop. That of course was not the total size. It was the size in use. Corrected now.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:ouch:
    Standard for 'netbooks' but somewhat of a pain in practice methinks ;)
    This can be done with BootITNG from an install of BootIT via a boot from flash drive and install...its a bit complex
    ( heh: there's nothing BING cant do ;) )

there are drive emulator apps that might be of help ...
    http://www.google.com/search?&q=cd drive emulator

Check: Can the bios/mobo boot from external drives ??
    Then go the source of all knowledge: the manual :D
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/bootitng.pdf
    Describes how to install from UFD..then good to go: copy whatever you want to spare space and then can shift images/copies back to UFD

Why not install IFW/IFD and copy/image what you want to USB ??

The TB utility "copyWipe" might help.
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Realistically, might be easier to go to local tech shop and grab an external CD/DVD drive and HD.( or a really BIG extra USB )

Let us know what solution you get to: template for others.
    Regards

PS: !!! Remember the current Bing 1.8xx is not compatible with IFW current Versions 2.5xx !!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much Longboard!

Yes I believe it can, but not sure. I checked the BIOS and seem like there are 4 options. Hard drive, CD/DVD, Removable device, and Network. So I guess it should work.

I will look into your info/links and do some more reading before I decide what to do. But I will be back:)

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I guess my first priority will be to get BING installed to the hdd. (This is what I have on desktop. I find it much easier than using CD)

So this can be done different ways if I get it right.

How about the following? Will it be the easiest way and can it be done like this?:

- download BING
    - use MakeDisk to put the installation to an UFD like written here:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=317
    - boot from the UFD and install to the laptops hdd

I cant remember how I installed to hdd on my desktop, but I find out. As far as I can remember I had to answer some questions and install in a small partition (8mb) at the end of the hdd. I dont know if I first have to create that small partition manually or if BING does it.

Is it easier to use a drive emulator/virtual CD? I have never used one before.

I did try to put my usb-stick into the laptop before I turned it on. Then turn on. Then press ESC and then I could choose between two media to boot from. Hdd and usb-stick. I was happy to see that:)

And why is Windows 7 with Asus utility 25 GB? My XP partition with all programs on desktop is 10 GB. (But then I have disabled System Restore)

Thanks. But I dont think I will use IFW. On my desktop I have never used other than BING. Backup speed is not the most important to me. What I like about BING is that it works outside Windows. I am used to it and it is a great partition tool. Are there good reasons to use other Terabyte products (IFD/IFW/IFL) when all I do is straight imaging of OS-partition? No incremental or complicated things.

8. Longboard

Need to review W7 and BING as I have no experience of same..but..:
    Yes.
    If you can boot from external drive/UFD: you can use BING without installing: just go to GUI and ...
    Heh: it's always interesting wrt changing/adapting routines.
    Bing installs itself to partition free space if available.
    If no freespace available: you have to create some space: IE "Partition Work" in the BING GUI : remember that 8 Mb slice ??

:) It'll all come back to you: you've just wiped that part of the procedure from your internal memory :D because it's all been so good for so long: just need to get reacquainted: review the vids, and, some extra planning for the "no external drive" and "booting and installing from UFD ".. + check W7 requirements.
    Actually, neither have I !! Just linked in case; you could ask at TB news groups.
    LOL: who knows !!
    Use Bing to fix the space issues.
    I dont have W7: there may be some special issues I am not sure of: IIRC; W7 installs some secret 100Mb partition for recovery: that might need to be addressed ??
    Bing can delete the "utility" partitions: might need to readjust the boot.ini file and you might screw with warranty if you 'take ownership' so to speak.
    Preaching to the converted there !!
    BING is my cornerstone: boot mgr, partition work AND imager.
    Yes:
    IFD is a great imager from boot disc.
    IFW is a great imager from within Windows: fast, great compression and NEVER EVER in my experience a failed process.
    IFW can be set to be used as plugin from PE boot discs.
    Brothers under the web here !! :)
    I have stayed with IFW V1.xx because it just works for me and is compatible with BING 1.xx ( waiting for BING2 !!..it'll come ...soon..ish..)

LOL, Brian K and other more highly evolved life forms: Pandlouk etc have moved on and swear by the newer versions of IFW.

Just trying to keep my life simple: my personal CPU and older RAM maxes out somewhat more frequently lately. :shifty: :D

Send a PM to BrianK
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?u=2853
    or
    Pandlouk
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/member.php?find=lastposter&t=277833
    and get them to drop in to this thread.
    I know Pandlouk has extensive experience with W7, imaging, boot managers and preboot issues.
    I think Brian has moved to W7 too.

It would be good to just check at TB news groups re others who have been doing what you are: I bet you're not alone: might be some 'extra' info or established pathways.

Just for peace of mind borrow an external burner and make the recommended recovery disc. ??
    Go back to the shop and demand a W7 recovery disc or download same ??.
    I really think you should get an external drive for images and recovery ?
    Regards

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you so much, again! You are very helpful Longboard:thumb:

And again I will do some reading, and hopefully tomorrow I get started with the real work. Right now I have to sleep, but I will be back to tell you everything worked fine:)

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

You are right about that :D

Im back to tell you everything went fine. BING installed to hdd :thumb: :D

Was not as straight forward as the first time when I installed to desktop a few years ago, because of this recovery partition and because BING was not able to find space to install to. I did a mistake at first but was able to correct it with the help of the videos.

I used MakeDisk and a Pretec memory stick to install BING to hdd.

I find it easy to believe you Longboard and for a short while I considered to download all of them. But I dont really need them. I do some imaging but not for every single change of my OS-partition.

Now I think I will go buy another external hdd. This will be for my laptop only. I have one for the desktop and I dont want to mix images from laptop and desktop.

As soon as I have created my first image I can feel free to experiment more if I want to. If I buy in local shop I can start soon. If I order from webshop it will take a week or more. I might come back to this thread, who knows:)

Again thanks

11. Longboard

:)

What about a little 'paper' on what you did: might be a help to others, especially as netbooks get more popular.

12. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Yes I will do that soon :)

13. Longboard

@tepe2
    Just a comment: always nice to know that a utility of this sort, ie: BING; actually can do wot it promises.
    Nice that, dontcha think ?
    :)

PS: grab the free trial of IFW/IFD/IFL and have a look at the imaging and restore capabilities
    If you want compatibility with BING v1.87 get the older version 1.7c
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm

The image can be stored to ext drive and restored with BING from boot or IFW to different partition
    Just saves a "reboot" for BING
    You will surely like it.

Dont forget the other useful free stuff particularly TBI for browsing images, Phylock, BINGBURN ( included) & Burn CDCC
    Heh: I would hazard a bet you're actually having "fun" re-acquainting yourself with the new install
    Regards

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  14. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Here is how I installed BING to the hdd when there is no CD/DVD drive, but please follow at your own risk because Im not the right person to make a guide. I just tell you what I did and what worked for me.

First I made sure my laptop could boot from usb-stick. My BIOS said yes it can boot from removable device. So I connected my Pretec usb-stick to the laptop and turned it on. Under boot I pressed Escape and got two options: To boot from hdd or from Pretec usb-stick :thumb:

1. Watch the two installation videos. Installation Step 1 and Installation Step 2 on top of this site:

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

2. Downloaded BING from the Terabyte website: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-bootit-next-generation.htm save to desktop and extract files as shown in the video.

3. Connect usb-stick.

4. Run Makedisk. First it would not run (Im not familiar with Windows 7 yet). Windows asked me what program should be used to run Makedisk. So I chose Makedisk and it ran. Then just followed the video. Click an ok or next, then select target, and of course here I chose Pretec usb-stick. When asked about usb-mode I just picked the first one named Normal. Described here: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=317 Wait a few seconds. Finish. Remove usb-stick. BING is now on usb-stick.

5. (Step 2 video) Boot from usb-stick. I just followed the defaults from the video. But then BING could not find a partition to install to. So I had to do it manual instead of automatic. The reason BING could not find space was because my hdd was like this: at the beginning 16GB recovery partition, then OS partition, then DATA partition and at the end 2mb free space. I dont know why there was 2 mb free space at the end. But BING need 8mb. No problem, I just used BING to resize so I had 8mb free space at the end. (Well thats not true, because I did a mistake. At first I only made 6mb space at the end. Installed BING. Did not work. Error message, dont remember exactly but I resized again and now that I got 8mb free space it installed fine).

Every step included partition work like resize and install manual instead of automatic are explained in the video. Its easy. And Im no expert at all.

Thats it! BING installed. No more need for CD, DVD or usb-stick. Just start imaging and partition work.

It also belong to this story that I had to set boot priority because the first boot I did was into recovery partition. Theres a Boot Edit menu. You get an idea by watching the Installing Windows 7 to its own primary partition video on the same website I linked to earlier: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/index.htm

15. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

:thumb: Yes, agree:)

Maybe I do one day:)

I have TBI on my desktop. I never use it. Maybe I should have a closer look at it.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.