Backup question regarding Maxtor OneTouch III Mini Ex HD!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

One of my Christmas gifts was the 60GB (all I need at this point) model. I read in a review that this model does not contain the full Retrospect Express backup software. Now besides it's ability to backup everything it does also have a System Restore feature. However, having said that, given it doesn't have the full Retrospect application, should I also purchase (use) another backup program? Thank You!

2. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Have you tried Retrospect? It is a very good backup program but is not easy, at least in my experience, to master. There is though very good help on their forum.

I did use RS 6.5 and found in the end it was getting too cumbersome and have changed over to using imaging s/w - Acronis in my case which I find is much easier to use. There are others around such as Paragon which some prefer and there are trial versions around which would be worth seeking out if that route appeals

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Ratchet,

Great Christmas gift! Your Maxtor came with a not full retail version of Retrospect. You can try this backup program, strategy, then if you like it, you can upgrade to the full version. They should give you a reduced cost for the upgrade. Also the features you get, with the upgrade may or may not be useful to you.

Another backup strategy, popular at this forum, is imaging, kind a like a picture or snapshot of your drive, as opposed to a bit by bit transfer, to external media. Two popular image software backup programs are Symantec Ghost, and Acronis True Image.

One drawback of the "one touch" feature is you cannot make incremental or differential backups. The "one touch" will format the drive & put an exact copy of the drive, at that time, each time. Being able to choose an incremental backup, allows you to bypass, a problem by not choosing the problematic increment.

You should trial several softwares, & choose a strategy image or other. Then become very comfortable & knowledgeable with your choice. Note Roxio's Easy Media Creator comes with Stomp's "bit by bit" strategy, I found this program complicated & could never figure it out, each week when I would backup I found my self struggling. I dumped the program. You do not want to be in a panic & learning mode, when your hard drive fails.

Good Luck & Take Care
    Rico

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Just to qualify what Rico said, Imaging s/w can now do incremental backups but not as he said with one touch. I had one of those drives and never used that facility on it, but as a straightforward drive it worked fine with whatever system.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi David,

You posted,
    I don't believe I implied imaging software cannot do incremental backups. I've been using Acronis TI for along time & have many icrements.

You also posted,
    The "one touch" WD ext. HDD, I had would format the drive, and copy the contents to the ext. HDD; with each button push. This has the dis-advantage in that you cannot cherry pick from a bunch of increments. Has "one button" backup changed?

Take Care
    Rico

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Hi Rico

No argument. I just thought it was not clear in your original posting. Certainly no implication on my part.

Re the One Touch - I thought I said it could not do incremental backups. I did not elaborate since you had done so. Actually reading it again I can see some confusion. What I meant was that you can use the drive without using the One Touch and use any other type of backup you choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.