Backup Pro v9 Stuck at estimating during file backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by rindi, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rindi

rindi Registered Member

On a Windows 7 PC running Paragon Backup Version 9.0.9.10081 I'm trying to run a "Files Backup". The operation seems to start, and then it just hangs while Estimating. The estimating does get to a certain point and just stops midway. The file it gets stuck at doesn't seem to matter. I then can't end the backup process (using the "Cancel" option does nothing, I either have to kill the process or reboot the system).

First of all is there no option available to turn the "Estimation" off? In my point of view that isn't necessary and just uses more time. I can't find any such option in the interface though.

Second, how can I get a file backup to run through?

Edit:

Things I've noticed in the meantime that may or may not be relevant:

I checked the windows eventlog and saw an error 8194 with the Volume shadow service. I checked the services and there it is started. Also this error happens long before the backup gets stuck, and the files where it gets stuck aren't open, so I don't really think that this has anything to do with the issue, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I might be wrong but I don't think that DB9 was compatible with Win7 o_O

Giveawayoftheday are offering DB 9.5 Pro free today,which is version 10 without the WinPE disk,that is certainly fully supported.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

3. rindi

rindi Registered Member

Thanks for the tip about giveaway. I did try version 9 on another Windows 7 PC, and on there it worked, and also, if it wouldn't work on Windows 7 why is it then installable? Usually software, in particular tools that need to work closely with hardware, isn't installable on OS's it wasn't compatible with.

4. andyman35

I'm just going from this download portal here for my info:

http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2158058/paragon-drive-backup

I'm not sure why it should install on Win7 if it's not supported TBH o_O My guess is that it may or may not work on that OS but no guarantees are given.
    Try the latest version though as it's definitely fully compatible.

5. rindi

rindi Registered Member

I tried the new version (trial, not the version you linked to, as that gave an error while trying to install), and the file backup worked there. I also didn't get those VSS errors within Eventviewer, so those errors probably still have something to do with the failed backup in the old version.

6. andyman35

Good to see it's working ok now.As for the GAOTD download,the verification wrapper they use can cause problems sometimes.There are usually plenty of free promotions for Paragon utilities (very generous company).You can keep track of them here:

http://www.paragon-software.com/free/giveaway.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.