Backup pguard.dat & pghash.dat

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by UCI_MECH, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UCI_MECH

UCI_MECH Registered Member

Usually when I want to backup PG settings, I disable PG and copy pguard.dat & pghash.dat to a zip file. But someone told me that I need to terminate dcsuserprot.exe besides disabling PG. Is that true?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi UCI_MECH, Yes you will need to terminate DCSuserprot.exe to copy or .zip the .dat files, this is a part of ProcessGuard's file protection. You will also have to terminate dcsuserprot.exe if you need to copy them back to the \system32\ folder.

HTH Pilli.

3. UCI_MECH

Thanks Pilli.

Actually I was able to copy pguard.dat & pghash.dat to a zip file just by disabling PG and without terminating dcsuserprot.exe.
    So, are you saying that the contents of pguard.dat & pghash.dat would be different if I didn't terminate dcsuserprot.exe. Otherwise, what's the point?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Strange I cannot copy the .dat files here if I exit the PG GUI with dcsuserprot running.
    No, I am saying that you should not be able to copy the files with dcsuserprot running even with the GUI closed. Do you have the three PG .exe's in your protection list?
    pgaccount, procGuard & dcsuserprot?

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

On my XP-SP2 system, all I do is disable PG protection, close down the PG GUI, and then copy/paste the two files to a safe storage location. Then open PG GUI and re-enable protection.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes if you disable protection then you can copy the .dat files. What I was trying and failed to explain properly is that to copy or change the .dat files normally is not possible with dcsuserprot running and PG's GUI closed but enabled :) ie. if malware were to target the .dat files.

7. UCI_MECH

What I meant when I said disable PG is disabling PG protection not just closing down the GUI. So, I guess what I was doing was right.
    Thanks Pilli for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.