Backup media failure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by predated, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. predated

predated Registered Member

Hi, just downloaded and installed TI11. First thing I wanted to do was make a bootable rescue CD.

I launch the Acronis Media Builder and select the options for Acronis True Image Home and Acronis DriveCleanser. Those are the only components that show up. I run through the rest of the program to build the media, and end up completing with no errors.

When I pop the cd in to boot, it boots and takes me to a bootloader screen wehre I can select drive cleanser, windows, or TI11 w/ USB support.

I select to start TI11, with the intention of restoring a backup. The acronis loader/splash screen comes up, then the screen goes completely black. The only way to get the PC back is to shut it all down and get it back.

Curiously, I don't see a media builder exe in the acronis installation. There are also no extra folders, just C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome and some folders.

I uniunstalled, reboooted and reinstalled, still not getting usable media.

2. predated

I didn't check the read this first post... but I have now.

I've tried several boot options, including the suggested quiet acpi=off noapic, but I get no GUI.

When removing the quiet boot flag, I still get a splash screen, but no console output.

Steps:
    Boot PC, insert CD
    Go to boot selection screen
    Select CD Rom
    Hit F11
    Remove "quiet"
    Click to launch True Image Full
    Get splash screen, and hear CD spin up
    After ~10 seconds, splash screen goes away, then screen flickers to black a couple of times. Screen then stays black.

This is on a Dell laptop, Inspiron 1501

Any help would be mucho appreciated. I contacted tech support for a fixed ISO, but would like to get going on the 7 machines that I have here, and not having bootable media is killing me here.

Thanks guys

3. 1wolf

1wolf Registered Member

I have been working Acronis "tech Support" for over a month on the very same issue you have. I have made no less than eleven "coaster" rescue media from links that I was sent by Tech support, nothing works. I can get to the console by using "acpi=off noapic", but my seagate freeagent pro USB drive isn't seen, this is a problem since my images are on that drive. I really wish you luck, I have had no solution to my issue. There are thirty messages from acronis "tech support" asking me to try different things and nothing has worked. Funny how the company that made the software can't get their rescue media to work.

Let me know if you have had ANY luck getting a boot disk to work properly. I will do the same if I finally get a working one from "tech support".

Thanks.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try to get ahold of version 9 and see if the Rescue CD from that will work for you.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If he does see the files with TI9 and they were made with TI11 he won't be able to restore them because of the new TI11 format.

6. predated

Currently attempting this with TI10 Home.

I guess when I pay $50 for a program that gets glowing reviews from so many magazines, I would expect it to work out of the box. I've got a stack of coasters and some backup media that, when you go to restore, actually reboots the machine rather than running through the restore.

seekforever mentioned the different format in TI11, I think that's most likely what caused the issue. Currently running a full backup in TI10 to apply to an identical Laptop sitting next to it. I'll let you know how it goes.

For the record, the Dell partitions have been removed - these all came with Vista, and I killed all the partitions, low level formatted, and have Win XP SP2 pretty much flying right along on these.

7. 1wolf

1wolf Registered Member

Version 8 through 10 rescue media works great for me. I can use the rescue disk from those versions, but as others have said, I cannot see the TI11 images. It seems that I wasted my money upgrading from TI10 to TI11, as it is clearly still a "beta" product. The answer for me may be TI10 again.

Predated, keep me posted on your progress.

8. predated

Just finished with the 4th of 6 restores from one original setup. All are Inspiron 1501s.

So far everything has gone amazingly well. The backup image is on a 500GB Western Digital My Book (unsure of which edition.. it's the externally powered one) I also had a newer USB powered Western Digital MyBook Passport edition was detected, so I'm assuming that could have been used for restore images as well.

I feel like I wasted my money on 11. I haven't paid for 10 yet, I probably will, but I'll be wary of any future updates.

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you got the the latest build of TI11?

You should raise an official support ticket at the Acronis site. They will ask you to collect and submit some data about your system. If the problem is not reported it will never get resolved.

Yours seems like another unfortunate case that the changes to a later version has caused something that worked before to fail.

10. predated

8053 build.

I submitted a ticket to support early on the 17th. I've yet to hear from Acronis on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.