Backup File Corrupt between builds

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gkelley, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkelley

gkelley Registered Member

A Backup File created with build 2289 is coming up as corrupt when restoring using build 2302.

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Can you restore using build 2289?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gkelley,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem?

Where do you store your image?

What operating system you use?

Is the situation the same both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD?

Have you tried to restore your image using any other build or version of Acronis True Image?

Please verify your image by means of the Check Image tool both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD and inform me about the results.

Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. gkelley

gkelley Registered Member

Whenever I set up a new employee computer, I now make a baseline image right after I install all of the standard software before I hand it over to the end user. That way, we have a clean image to restore in case of drive corruption. I can then restore their personal files from their latest backup after the system has been rebuilt. I made an image of a Dell D410 notebook and saved it to a FireLite USB HD using a fresh install of build 2289. A few days later, I was showing a group how to use TI and when I went to open the D410 base file (same drive but attached to a Dell GX280 Desktop) I received the File Corrupt Error. Desktop was using a fresh install of build 2302.

I have since checked my own backup made with build 2289 while running 2302 and it opened fine which complicates things because now you don't have a repeatable problem - it's random for whatever reason. Gotta love those...

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello gkelley,

Some sytems have problems writing or reading very large files (greater than 2 or 3 GB) from one hard drive to another, particularly to external USB drives. This isn't necessarily directly related to True Image.

Corruption that occures when imaging to an internal HD can often be traced to a "flaky" RAM module, too aggressive memory timings or overclocking. This can be checked by running <Memtest86+> for a couple of hours. There should be no errors reported. If corruption only occurs when imaging to an external USB HD then it's usually caused by incompatible motherboard/external drive enclosure USB chipsets.

I guess the moral of this tale is that you should always verify an image via TI's Check Archive Wizard immediately after its creation.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.