Backup Fail for Dreamweavef CS3 and Office 2003

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dudely, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudely

dudely Registered Member

When I setup a task to backup settings for Dreamweaver CS3 or MS Office 2003 software the backup fails to be created.

I submitted a ticket for the dreamweaver issue but I just tested and Office 2003 also fails to backup. MS Excel, Word, Publisher, Powerpoint all fail to backup when selected as a group or individually.

Does anyone else have this issue?

The full partition is imaged successfully once a day so it isnt an issue of losing data but it would be nice to have the individual application settings backed up as well. In case of reinstall or upgrade I dont have to sort through the full C drive to get to what I need to restore these individual applications.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dudely,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build of Acronis True Image Home, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/ . The latest build for version 10.0 is 4942 and for the latest Acronis True Image 11 Home it is 8027. You can find the build number in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 4 digit number).

If the problem is not eliminated by installing the latest build of the product please submit a request for technical support. Please make a screen shot of the error message that appears on attempt to backup applications' settings and provide step-by-step description of actions that lead to the error. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

3. dudely

dudely Registered Member

I am using 8027 build of True Image 11.

There is no error message the backup just stops at 48%, the active window that shows the progress indicators just closes. The light status bar shows red saying that the last backup did not complete.

When I look at the backup location there is no file created.

I do have a ticket and have responded but the directions that I was given by support does NOT apply to this issue.

4. Acronis Support

Hello dudely,

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. dudely

dudely Registered Member

Apparently the backup settings feature is a hit and miss scenerio.

For some reason on my system the application settings backup does not work. I have been around and around with support doing all sorts of weird things to my system and they can't get it to work for me.

This may be isolated to my system but I read others are also having issues with this "feature".

So far I have done everything support has asked and yet the issue I am having remains. As far as I can tell they just gave up on me and forwarded my problem on to a supervisor who has not got a hold of me yet.

The first thing I noticed with support, when trouble shooting my problem was to blame other software and other outside issues. I guess this particular feature wont work for me, so I will stop trying to use it.

The rest of the features I use, do work fine. Backup and Restore works perfect on my Raid 0 setup. Though I don't have an Intel Raid.

The main reason I purchased this software was to be able to backup my system that is running on a Raid setup. TI 11, works great for that, the full backups I mean. This application settings feature is quirky and I guess just marketing gimick, from what others are saying about it. I must agree, it doesn't work right at all.

6. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

Upon reading this thread, I tried to backup setting for Microsoft Office and Adobe CS2 suites. As shown in the attachement, it does not seem doing anything. I am currently using v. 10, bld. 4942. Sarutaro

7. Zecke

Zecke Registered Member

It's good to hear that I'm not alone!! This is exactly the problem I have, too! The only thing I can tell you, is that there is no - NO - solution for this problem!! Acronis do not believe that this problem is existing. They do nothing. I'm waiting one full month for any solution for that. I can't save the settings for my Office 2007. In the forum they told me, I'm doing something wrong and the software is so fine ... - it's not! So when will Acronis take care about this? When will the update come? I'm sick of waiting :mad: !!
    Best regards
    Zecke

8. dudely

dudely Registered Member

This isn't something you may choose to do but it is an option if you really want to backup your software settings.

I had to reinstall my operating system and reinstall all my software, do to a corruption and lack of backup utility that could restore to my raid. This is why I chose TI 11, to backup my entire drive and restore to my Raid 0, after I had restored my system manually.

I took a snapshot of my registry by exporting from registry editor, after each software install. I then compared each version of the export to the next version in the export process to find out what had changed. I then put the changed keys into a seperate file for each of the software I installed. This way I have the full registry info for each of my software.

I set TI 11 home to backup the folders of my software, in the program files directory and in Documents And Settings --> User
    --> All Users

Thunderbird and firefox do not store any settings in the registry so for those you just have to backup the Thunderbird and Mozilla Folders in Application Data folder for your user account. This will also backup ALL your email and firefox plugins that are installed. That is if you backup both your mozilla folder AND Thunderbird.

For Office... I would guess your emails are NOT stored in the registry but instead in Application Data\Outlook folder or where ever it is stored. I don't use outlook so I don't know but browse to that area of your windows drive and see if you can't find the email folders and files. If you do find them, just backup that folder and you are done.

I setup True Image 11 to backup daily my email and firefox settings. I will still have to reinstall firefox and thunderbird later if I need to for some reason. But after the install I just have to restore my settings backup, which is just a folder, and all my email is restored. I setup TI do backup both my firefox and thuinderbird settings folders at sametime, so they are in the same backup. One restore away from having all my browser settings and email restored in one action.

I was also put through unbelievable nonsense by acronis support, which I do not feel was needed in anyway what so ever. Why would they have my uninstall NOD32 and several other applications because this one feature of their software doesn't work. The regular backups work and restore fine but for this application settings backup not working they had me do all sorts of things, one of which apparently could have corrupted my system.

I don't understand why they blamed other software or even me really for their software not working right. It's a bug in their software not NOD32 or any of the other things they had me jump through hoops to finally realize they didn't know what was wrong. I do.. TI 11 has bugs they wont admit too, at least that is my conclusion after support passed my problem on to a supervisor who never has gotten back to me.

9. sarutaro

Just calm down. Saving programs is not the major function of the ATI. But backup and restore of C-paritition image have been working perfect so far. That saved my life too many times. I am very grateful to Acornis techies for this. Don't be too harsh. As you know, we are not living in the perfect world.

10. Zecke

Zecke Registered Member

@sarutaro: this is exactly what I said - how many "excuses" for this brillant software will you tell me? It's a feature of it, and if it won't work, they have to fix it - without any excuses. If I would do my job for my boss in this way: look I done everything well, but this won't work and that won't work ... I'll be fired!! They HAVE to MAKE it work or cancel. Or would you buy a car with a missing feature: you can drive, but you can't use the steering wheel. Would you buy that??
    Regards Zecke

11. sarutaro

After learning how to embed an image in post, I am re-posting. As seen in the attachment, file sizes saved are all 1024, which ndicated the saving of settings for Adobe and Office programs were not working. Sarutaro

Attached Files:

12. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

The latest builds of Acronis True Image Home should support this feature (especially Microsoft Office settings backup).

Zecke and dudely - could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letters? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

sarutaro - the screen shot you provided is not enough to confirm that there is an issue with settings backup. The 'files' with 'file sizes' equal to 1024 in fact are folders created by software and this '1024' size is not indicating that these folders are empty. Such folder can be filled (or not filled) with all the necessary information.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

13. sarutaro

Michael, I forgot to mention about the folders. It looks that those folders contained files but the folders were empty unless they contained hidden files. BTW, could you please confirm whether the 1024 Byte represents a hidden file or not. Thank you. Regards, Sarutaro

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  14. dudely

dudely Registered Member

I don't have folders created, I have TIB files and the ones that actually get created have a 1 at the end.

15. dudely

dudely Registered Member

I no longer have the time to troubleshoot your software any longer. I responded to the last email I received this morning with all the information I have.

If it is not enough I am sure one of the other helpful people in this thread can continue to help you with the current problem your software is having.

The main function of True Image 11 Home, backing up partition and drive images on Raid systems works for me well. I will continue to use the software and will from time to time check for updates.

I also use the Try&Decide feature, that works well for me too. I just manually backup my application settings and will continue until I find another solution or this feature is fixed in up coming updates for TI 11.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.