Backup before installing new software

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by astefan, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astefan

astefan Registered Member

Hi,

before installing new, complex software, I would like to generate a backup of my c: (Win XP) drive to ensure to be able to go back to stable system status. Now I am unsure what is the best way to do it.

I located Win XP alone on the C: drive. Software is installed to D: drive. Would you build every time an (incremental) image of the whole C: drive or is it enough to do a normal backup of the /windows/ folder and the sub folders?

Which way you recommend for the above mentioned requirement?

Thanks in advance,
    Stefan

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

My personal preference would be to make a complete image of the drives C & D. If C and D are partitions on the same physical drive then a complete image of the entire drive will do what you want. Installing the software on D affects both drives because the registry is in the C:\windows directory. In the event of an issue with a software install just restore the complete image and you will be back to where you started. If they are two separate drives just create an image of both. Just backing up the windows folder is not enough.

3. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

I would not separate my OS and programs on separate partitions. No point to it - programs store settings in the registry.

I have all in one partition (C) and, like you, before I do any serious upgrading I take an image of the partition. Gives you a great feeling of security.

I also do a full backup in this situation.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Tomasjk gave you excellent advice. Installing programs on a drive different from the Windows drive just complicates everything. Data can be separated from the operating system and programs, but it's just not possible to separate Windows from installed programs. Every program that you think you installed on D is also partly installed on C and also has essential entries in the Registry which is on C. The two cannot be separated.

Therefore, backup both C and D before installing new hardware or software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.