Backup and Recovery Free v10.1 Error

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by whitedragon551, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive got a 1.5TB external Seagate Barracuda HD in a Thermaltake BlacX docking station. Ive ran Seatools on both HDs. The one in my laptop has failed the long generic test as well as the long self drive test, but it passed the chkdsk sector scanning.

I try to backup to the external with Backup and Recovery Free v10.1 and each time I get an error:

http://lookpic.com/i/273/0vZvJbX2.jpeg

Now Ive gone through Windows Services and have checked the Volume Shadow Copy as well as all dependencies for that service and rebooted. Ive also re-registered all .dll files and service files for Volume Shadow Copy. Paragons Hot Processing also creates the same error.

Now my question is will I be able to backup the entire Windows partition if I disable the hot processing? I am also wondering if maybe the option to switch between processing may be the culprit.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Because the drive could be damaged, I'd recommend running the raw-processing backup. It'll take longer and more space, but it shouldn't stop for any errors. If backup does not work, you can try cloning. Cloning will require unallocated space on the external hard drive, which is an inconvenience.

3. whitedragon551

Doesnt make much sense that the Windows backup works, but Paragon doesnt. The HD is damaged in both scenarios.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would try booting the rescue media and seeing if you can make the image that way.

5. whitedragon551

I tried to back up with all hot processing options disabled which then caused me to reboot so it could create a backup. Upon finishing that I verified the image. Image was aborted and corrupt. It didnt even backup while the HD was on.

6. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Have you tried using raw processing as Tommy suggested? If your hard drive has bad sectors, raw processing is definitely your best option, and probably the only thing that is going to be able to image it.

Windows backup doesn't necessarily backup everything, it is quite possible that the damaged files/sectors are not in the OS itself, which is likely the reason why you can still boot into the OS.

You could also try chkdsk /r which will attempt to recover any data it can.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  7. whitedragon551

Well it was definitely a bad HD. I was able to create an image of my system with the built in Windows backup/restore feature in Windows 7. Popped my new HD in and reimaged the new drive, did some maintenance and now Im running Paragon on it. So far its at 90% where as before it got to about 61% and would fail every time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.