Backing up to a network drive fails...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rjensen007, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjensen007

rjensen007 Registered Member

I am attempting to back-up to a network drive that is mapped to a drive letter. The data is on the local machine. the backup location is a network drive. NetDrive (Novell's version of WebDrive) is used to map the drive.

ATI 10 (4942) works just fine if I back-up to the local machine, but fails when I set the backup to be the network drive. ATI sees the networked drive and will navigate the folders during configuration of the backup, but will not back-up. It fails on both manual and scheduled backups.

KEY POINT: I don't need to 'log in' to the the mapped drive -- it is already done -- yet I am required to enter information to 'log in' to the drive. There does not appear to be any way to bypass this step.

I can manually copy files to and from the network drive in Explorer.

Any ideas?

Roy Jensen

2. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Hello Roy.

I'm sorry that I don't have Novell speciic information to work with here, but I do have some experience with this issue.

Acronis doesn't always like mapped drives, this is particularly true in version 11.

It seems to work better if you use a UNC network path. there have been other posts here that have covered similar issues.

Obviously your Novel environment may not permit you to use UNC paths, but then it may, I really don't know the environment.

Sometimes I have better results throwing some made believe credentials in the username and password box in the scheduled tasks wizard, but not always.

I have issues whereby a share we use at work, solely for making backups, the we have deliberately made a completely open, naked share that requires absolutely no authentication to use will not work without a username and password when mapped as a network drive.

Very annoying.

NOTE TO ACRONIS SUPPORT / DEVELOPMENT.

Even in the face of becoming more and more security conscious in I.T., IT SHOULD NOT BE COMPULSORY TO USE AUTHENTICATION TO PUSH BACKUPS ACROSS THE NETWORK. It should be optional.

If the user wants/needs an open file share, or a pre-authenticated share, such as in the case of the user whose question I'm trying to answer here; regardless of if Acronis considers it a security risk or not; True Image should permit it.

No Excuses.

It is the user's computer, it is the users choice.

Please revise the requirement to supply logon credentials in True Image. Maybe use a little radio button that says something like: "My share requires authentication- Yes - No".

GeeeAus.

3. Marsdraw

Marsdraw Registered Member

Hi!
    Acronis True Image v. 10 is not built to backup to a network drive. You need the Acronis TI Workstation v.9
    MD

4. GeeeAus

GeeeAus Registered Member

Hi.

Acronis True Image 10 Home is indeed built to backup to network storage as home computer buyers are increasingly setting up small home.office LANs. Acronis True Image 10 Home even listed servers as a supported backup location in the product promotional and advertising materials. The user guide also has some fairly comprehensive setup information for making use of network storage with Acronis True Image 10 Home.

Grant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.