Backing up an Intel Mac Mini running XP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by clockworks, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clockworks

clockworks Registered Member

I've got an Intel Mac Mini, which is running OSX and XP Home SP2 (dual-boot using Bootcamp). I've got TI v8.

I would like to make a complete backup of all 3 partitions to a USB HDD - OSX, XP and a "backup" partition.
    If I boot XP, I can run TI. It sees all 3 partitions, and creates the image files on the USB HDD with no errors.

My question is, has it REALLY backed up the entire HDD, and will I actually be able to restore the HDD back to a fully functioning, dual-boot, system?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There is only one way to absolutely certain that your backup works and that is to restore it. Best done with another HD just in case it gets blown away.

I don't know what TI does with your OSX partition. Supposedly, if it doesn't recognize the file system it makes a total copy of the partition - not just the in-use sectors since it can't understand the system to map in-use only.

As a partial test, does the backup file size(s) look appropriate and an you do a Validate of the image files with TI?

3. clockworks

clockworks Registered Member

Restoring to a spare HDD would be ideal, but not really possible with a Mac mini. It uses a 2.5" HDD, and the case is very tricky to open - it's not really a consumer serviceable machine.

The files do look big enough to contain all the data.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello clockworks,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that none of the currently available Acronis True Image versions supports this type of computers. We have not tested Acronis True Image with both Intel Mac Mini computers and Bootcamp boot manager software and therefore can not guarantee that it will function correctly in your software\hardware environment. However, as seekforever has already mentioned above, Acronis True Image has a special sector-by-sector support for corrupted and non-supported file systems (see this previous thread for details). We therefore do not expect any problems with Acronis True Image backing up\restoring your hard drive. However, the best way to figure out if your system can be restored correctly from the image archive you have created is to follow seekforever's advice and perform the actual restore to a spare hard drive.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

You may also find Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.