Back up on internal hard drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by hummers, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hummers

hummers Registered Member

Hi,

After downloading Giveaway's Backup Pro 9.5 (thank you), I succeeded in backing up my drive C to a different internal hard drive (F) and now the back up is sealed in a hidden chamber on drive F and Paragon says my data is safe. I also made a Paragon boot CD using the link in the software.

1. I've read that back ups on internal drives need to be opened with Paragon software, and my drive F doesn't have any Paragon products on it. Question: will the Paragon CD be enough to restore my Drive C if it crashes or does my Drive F need a Paragon product installed on it?

2. In order to boot to drive F to restore drive C, do I need a WinPE CD (whatever that is) instead of the CD that I made with Paragon Backup?

Basically, my backup seems to be fine but I just want to be certain that I'll be able to restore drive C with what I've done.

Thank you,
    hummers

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You don't need a Paragon product installed on the drive your backup image is stored on.

You can boot the cd and navigate to the backup image ( archive ) to restore it.

There is an option to make a bootable backup capsule, where you can install the recovery resource on the drive, and have an entry during startup ( F6 ) to boot straight into it.

It is not necessary to do that.

3. hummers

Thank you. So, it appears that I have a hidden "bootable backup capsule" - when I rebooted this am I noticed the F6 option.

Should I just scrap my first attempt and make a new snapshot without the F6 option? Would the hidden section come out of hiding?

hummers

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you want to do it that way, it's fine.

Paragon can see the hidden partition and store any new backups on there.

The advantage is , you don't need the boot cd with you if you need to restore ( handy if you are travelling with your laptop ).

If you don't want to do it that way and just store backup images on a spare drive/ partition in the normal way, there is an option yo undo the backup capsule.

Try the "manage backup capsule " Wizard. Delete the backup capsule and start again. I don't think there is separate boot manger wizard in that app. It appears to be included in the mange capsule wiz - does the same thing.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. hummers

Thank you. Last question, which really comes back to my original concern.

If my computer crashes and drive C won't boot, I assume that F6 won't work either because the computer hasn't booted. So, if I leave things as they are (hidden), will the Paragon CD boot to drive F so that I can restore C or, as it is, do I have to use F6? If I have to use F6, then I had better delete and try again. H.

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Unless the HD itself has failed , you will usually be be able to select F6 even if there is something wrong with windows startup process. That's the idea of it.

You can also boot the Paragon cd - it will be able to see the hidden partition and restore an image from there.

For 100% safety , store an image on an external HD - just in case of mechanical failure of the internal HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.