Back up antivirus for Winows 2000 Pro...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I am looking for a backup on-demand AV scanner that will work on Windows 2000, I am currently using AVG 6.0 free (though thinking of upgrading to the 7.0 beta, anyways) and when I use to use 98SE I used F-Prot for DOS as a backup scanner, however, F-Prot for DOS doesn't work when scanning the hard drive (works fine for scanning a single file with a Send To shortcut) - So, I was wondering what a good backup AV scanner would be that fully supports Windows 2000?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

command antivirus works very well. I think you would probably like it. Very good detection rates low resources use and inexpensive. can be purchased here

3. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

If I were you I would consider getting an anti-trojan rather than a back-up a/v (TDS3, BoClean and TrojanHunter are all good). If you definitely want another a/v, I would consider BitDefender Free. As its name implies it is free of charge, is only 'on-demand' with no resident protenction. It updates daily and has a great gui. When I clean up friends PC's usually the first thing I do is install BitDefender Free, update it, and run a scan. It seems to find quite a lot of stuff other a/v's (such as AVG) have missed. Although it's probably not quite in the same league as KAV, for the price it can't be beaten ;) . Hope that helped.

4. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I used BitDefender free before, however, doesn't that have to be running int he background anyways even though it doesn't have a background guard? I know you can disable it but on 98SE when I used BitDefender free if I turned it off at start up and then started BitDefender it'd always say I had 0 definitions in the data base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.