B&R 2011 Free: Can't uninstall HOTCOREX64

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by virtualtom, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualtom

virtualtom Registered Member

Hi. I've tried to uninstall B&R 2011 Free. The installer refused with the message "HOTCOREX64 is not a valid short filename". Installation then will be terminated.

What to do now?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. virtualtom

Hi.
    I've done the following: Checking if Installer is up to date, checking if service is running, logged in as Windows7 admin and in protected mode, tried deinstallation via system control. The error appeared every time.

I've tried to reinstall. If I started the original installation file (msi) the same error appeared.

Can't install, can't uninstall. What next?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

You can try this utility that MS discontinued some time ago to remove the reference. Bear in mind it is not supported or certified for use on Win7
    xttp://www.pressbyte.com/1426/windows-installer-cleanup-utility-msicuu2exe-free-download

or contact Paragon tech support in case they can provide a removal tool

5. virtualtom

Okay, I've used the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool to remove the B&R entry in the installed programs list, deleted the files in the program dir, removed the start menu entry, and runned Wise Registry Cleaner to kill lost reg entries. So far, B&R 2011 Free seems to be removed.

Then I tried to install B&R 11 Kompakt 2nd, which I received from Paragon for free. Funny. After the installation there was a start menu folder with no content. I've tried to generate a link to the launcher by hand and copying in the appropriate start menu folder, but - access is denied. Me. I am the admin. And also the admin-admin has no right to move, delete or manipulate this start menu item.

What to do next?

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If you had created backup system images, and had created a boot disk, restore one of them using the boot disk. Then contact Paragon tech support as suggested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.