B&R 10 Worked Wonderfully!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bbriley, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbriley

bbriley Registered Member

I just want to report a success story using B&R 10 last evening. Background - I did a clean install of Windows 7 in late November, using a new 160 GB hard drive to replace my old 40 GB C:\ drive. I also have an 80 GB drive (with D:\ and E:\ partitions) running which is several years old; it contains my documents, downloads, etc., and it used to be where I'd install large games. Since I installed Win 7, I've been getting periodic cautions (and several blue screen crashes) about an unspecified driver problem, which I can't track down. Otherwise, I really like Win 7 so far.

Last evening, I removed Norton 360 v. 3.8, which I have liked, since I was getting the growing feeling that some of its maintenance features were interfering with Windows or other 3rd party maintenance utilities. I was going to replace it with Avast 5 free AV and PC Tools free firewall. I was in the midst of installing Avast 5 when without warning, I had a BAD bsod crash - I don't blame Avast, even though I had the crash - I think the latter was possibly related to the unknown driver issue. In all cases, I could NOT reboot into Windows after that crash. I booted into safe mode, but could fix nothing - the "windows restore" feature had been damaged. On top of it all, Windows had shifted its identification of my new C:\ drive to F:\.

Finally, in desperation, I decided to use B&R 10 with its Linux boot disk to restore my C:\ drive fully with my latest image for it from my 360 GB external USB drive! I watched nervously to see if the machine would boot from the B&R CD (Linux style) and it did! First victory! Then I went through the steps to tell it to restore the C:\ drive from that latest image - 9 days old. After 35 minutes, the drive (35 GB of operating system and programs) had been restored per the B&R Linux screen.

With bated breath, I removed the B&R CD and rebooted - and lo and behold, my Windows 7 booted up perfectly! And the C:\ drive was again known by Windows as C:\ (instead of F:\). Windows has run wonderfully ever since, although I didn't tempt fate by installing Avast (even though I don't blame Avast for the crash until/unless I learned more). Instead, I installed the new Windows Essentials AV and Antispyware, plus the PC Tools Free Wirewall.

I could have cried with joy at seeing Windows running like new - and I have Paragon's B&R 10 and the Paragon staff to thank! I appreciate Paragon's hard work - and the input from this forum - for helping develop such a good program as B&R 10.

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Thanks for the post bbriley, we are glad to hear it worked well for you :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.