AxCrypt problem: Solution or alternative?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by pajenn, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use AxCrypt to encrypt sensitive files I want to share with certain people via dropbox. To that end I want AxCrypt to remember my password and key-file, so I choose the 'use these as default settings' whenever I use AxCrypt. The problem is it only remembers my default settings until reboot. Is there any solution to this? (I'm using the latest 64-bit version of AxCrypt and I normally encrypt to exe).

If not, is there another software that let's you encrypt files directly from the context menu, and can remember your password and key-file so you don't need to enter those separately every single reboot.

2. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

I use AES Crypt, which is free, open source - and runs on multiple OS platforms. It is based on the AES encryption scheme, and it uses your password to create a 256 bit symmetric key.

http://www.aescrypt.com/

The 64 bit Windows version on my system simply requires that I right click on a selected file to encrypt or decrypt it. I've not experienced any "forgetting" of passwords after a re-boot.

Good luck.

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

thanks. i'll try it on a VM. does it let you use a key-file in addition to a password?

4. merisi

merisi Registered Member

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

tried it on VM and it doesn't seem to support key-files. otherwise looks like a good, straighforward file encryption software, but AxCrypt has a few extra features I prefer, in particular, support for key-files and encryption to exe.

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

BCArchive is free! and ads an easy context menu shortcut :thumb:
    you can exchange your public keys between eachother, its safer then sharing keyfiles and passwords and crap because when you create your public keys only you have your personal secret password, and your friend uses your public key to encrypt the file then when you get the file you use your secret password to decrypt it, or vice versa, you can encrypt a file for him using his public key then only he can decrypt it with his his own secret password......your secret password/private key is never shared which makes it more secure.

Jetco also has 2 other free encryption tools BestCrypt Traveller & BCTextEncoder. Tip; you can use your public keys to exchange encrypted messages using BCTextEncoder.

or you can try GPG4win or GPG4USB

PS: If your using the free version of keyscrambler then check this out

Zemana AntiLogger Free
    • Protects every application on your computer, and not just your web browser
    • Stops keyloggers by scrambling every key that you type instantly, quietly, effective, in the background
    • Even if the keyloggers capture your keystrokes, all they'll see are highly encrypted random characters
    • No confusing options to set. The Free version scrambles every keystroke, and protects everything that you type

Zemana AntiLogger Free

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. caspian

caspian Registered Member

This is a little off of the topic, but you may want to watch using axcrpyt on your desktop if it is something really sensitive. Back when I was doing a bunch of experiments with Recuva, I noticed that when I encrypted a file with Axcrypt, somehow the original showed up on a Recuva scan. Like it made a copy or something. But if you copy the file to a truecrypt folder and encrypt it there, you could right click on the original and wipe it.

8. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

just an update: i also wrote the author of AxCrypt to ask about it forgetting the password/key-file between reboots, and he said it's on purpose to increase security, but he also said he'll see if he can change that in the next version (without compromising security). for now, i've decided to keep using AxCrypt and configured Keepass to auto-type the password and key-file for it at the press of a hotkey or mouse gesture.

as for local security, I'm less concerned about that right now - I just use AxCrypt for dropbox and don't even shred the uncrypted files, although I think it can do that. i've used TrueCrypt and DiskCryptor in the past to encrypt my whole hard drive, and may do that in the future too, but it's a bit of a hassle and adds some inconvenience to disk imaging and multiboot/OS options.

9. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Great post. I haven't looked at some of those for a while, thanks for the reminder!

PD

10. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Thanks, I am gonna try it right away.

About AxCrypt, I have a over 400 bits psw stored in Keepass which I use for encrypting/decrypting files with Ax.
    In this way it works smoothly...unless my Keepass Database gets cracked, but I do not think is likely to happen...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.