Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I really liked Avira when I tried it. However, there were problems which were so annoying that I removed it.
    I frequent various security forums, including the "specific" AV forums.

I have formed a distinct impression that Avira has a lot of reasonably small problems that do not get corrected. They make it less desirable than most other AVs.
    In the area of free AVs Avira appears to be more troublesome than the other two, AVG and Avast. I have used Avast at various times without any issues, and know a lot of folks who use AVG without issues. I have not found Avira so trouble free.

Do I have the wrong impression of Avira, or does it seem to have a greater number of problems than others mentioned?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

From a 98se persepective ..i think it has.
    ellison

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What problem specifically u faced( ignoring update issue that some users face and the nag pop up)?

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I guess you are asking the original poster this question ,but even so ,i d like to state that ,update issues and nag screens are something that AVG and particularly avast do not suffer from at all.
    elliosn

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The primary one was that upon start either the icon did not show in the tray, or that the umbrella showed the guard not active. When I would click on it the dropdown showed indicated that the guard was active, so it disagreed with the icon and the indicator.
    To get it activated it was necessary to deactivate it and then activate it. The icon then opened and all was well.

Restart was required to get the icon showing when it did not show at start.

I notice that this is still a problem from a today post on the Avira Classic forum.

Such things, while they might seem small, are enough of a nuisance that I do not want to fool with them.

I did not face update issues, but that is another one that indicates troubles that should be corrected.

Best,
    Jerry

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did notice such issues but as far as I remember it used to happen during my play with different malware otherwise I hardly noticed such an issue but as u stated there seem to be some bugs not yet fixed.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The problems were not 100% of the time, but probably closer to 40%. I also noticed that there seemed to be some conflict with Win Patrol as it failed to show most of the time that Avira did not show.

Thanks for the reply.
    Jerry

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

No problems with Avira Premium on an XP system now for nearly 6 months. In fact I have found it to be one of the lightest and most stable AV scanners I have used ( and I have tried a LOT! ). Further, False Positives have been very few so far and have been quickly corrected.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Jerry M,
    That's strange.I have Avira (free version) and WinPatrol Plus.I haven't experienced the problem that you described.
    I noticed once that the tray icon showed the guard inactive when it was in fact active.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I thought it strange also, but after trying various things, I never got WP to work right. After I uninstalled Avira all was well. Just a glitch in my combination I guess.

Best,
    Jerry

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I have used AVIRA AntiVir PE 7 Classic as my only av about a couple of months without any major problems. Of course I had removed the notifier thing during updating as they have informed in here at Wilders.

So far I have found 2 FP:s, which were fixed less than 12 hours. I have tested AntiVir in several crack sites and I can confirm that AntiVir was the best av in there among the nevest infected cracks and the next was Kaspersky of course after a couple of hours, when I scanned my findings in VirusTotal. The rest av:s were far away from these two. I just can't understand what were those bugs with this AntiVir.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  12. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I have had no compatibilty issues with AntiVir but there a few things that do need to get fixed by Avira.

1. The guard stops when updating.
    2. It does not scan ALL files.

It would be wise to install on a known clean computer, because it does not scan all the files. And the possiblity of getting infected when the guard stops.
    The nag screen can be disabled with Firewall or HIPS software.

Rick

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Firefighter,

I cannot understand them either. I hope that they will be corrected and I will again give it a try. I like Avira about as well as KAV 6.

Right now I am using F-Secure on the laptop, and have about decided to keep it until it runs out in July 07. I do not have any issues with F-Secure in spite of the complaints about its heaviness.
    I would consider keeping it, but it is more expensive than I want to pay, considering the cost of other good AVs.

Before I make any decision I will trial Avira again.

Thanks for the reply, and it is good to see that in the real world both Avira and KAV work.

Best,
    Jerry

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

are you sure it doesnt scan all files?

or are you talking about the free version not scanning all files since the premium version does?

lodore

15. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

The free version does not scan all files.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

fair enough i have only tryed the premium version so i didnt know.
    its hard to knock a free av thou with such a good detection rate.
    lodore

17. FRug

FRug Registered Member

err, sorry but that's rubbish. both free and premium scan all files, if you set it in the config. The default is smart extensions, and the 3rd alternative is extension based.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was gonna say that but i assumed they would of checked that...
    lodore

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The paid antivirus is the best there is for the cost.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no doubt about that IMO.
    lodore

21. DarkX

DarkX Registered Member

I tried Avira free edition three times (including on fresh install xp) and had same guard problems as described by JerryM.
    A reboot required always to re-activate the guard, i accept its lightness and very good detection rates and update screen never bothered me but decided to uninstall.
    I simply didnt want to see a disabled real time scanner in my system tray:(

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my sister doesnt have that problem with the premium version on her laptop i dont think..
    lodore

23. DarkX

DarkX Registered Member

I havent tried premium version yet maybe i should give it one more try:)

24. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Although I quite like AntiVir PE, I did have some random problems with Guard as well. Sometimes it was not starting. It had some major GUI problems at one point where I would click on any of the drop-down menu items and it would turn Guard off, then on, and it would go on forever that way. It didn't matter which drop-down menu I clicked on, it would always turn Guard on and off.

However, after several updates it sorted itself out and I have no problems with it at this time.

25. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I'm not knocking AntiVir free edition. I use it myself. But this is a real problem, it does not scan all files. I have mine to set to scan all and I know I have alot more than 136,000 files on this computer. Even the forum on Avira has a bunch of threads about it.

http://forum.avira.de/thread.php?threadid=13518
    http://forum.avira.de/thread.php?threadid=12429
    http://forum.avira.de/thread.php?threadid=14185

And they call it Normal!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.